Meet Our Testing Team
- Couples. The GhostBed Luxe prevents motion transfer across the mattress and features strong edges which allow couples to use the full surface of the bed.
- Those who sleep hot. Phase-change material and fiber padding enhance breathability and draw heat away from the sleeper, placing the GhostBed Luxe among the coolest of the foam mattresses.
- Side sleepers. With its medium feel, the GhostBed Luxe provides ample cushioning to prevent pressure build-up in hips and shoulders when sleeping on the side.
Not Recommended for...
- Those who prefer a firm mattress. The GhostBed Luxe gives the feeling of sleeping “in,” not “on,” the bed, making it unsuitable for many stomach sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds.
- Shoppers on a budget. Because of its extra comfort layers and advanced cooling features, the GhostBed Luxe is priced as a luxury foam mattress.
If you’re the audiovisual type, watch this video to find out everything you need to know about the GhostBed Luxe. Alternately, keep reading for a full breakdown of the mattress.
Our testing team conducted an extensive evaluation of the GhostBed Luxe Mattress. Our review and rating process consists of three parts: in-house evaluation, external sleep testing, and data collection of verified owner experiences. To learn more about our review process, read our methodology here.
Our performance criteria and ratings for the bed are listed in the table below.
The GhostBed Luxe Mattress performs very well motion isolation and pressure relief, and succeeds much better than other foam mattresses on maintaining a neutral temperature. Click here to jump to an in-depth look at our sleeper ratings.
Sleep Position Ratings
As part of our ratings process, we evaluated the GhostBed Luxe Mattress across different body types and preferred sleep positions. In addition to physical testing, we surveyed our sleep expert team and analyzed reviews from verified mattress owners and customers. Our findings are listed in the table below.
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
How Is the GhostBed Luxe Mattress Constructed?
The GhostBed Luxe has a cover made of fabric that is infused with gel and cool to the touch, although this effect is reduced when using a fitted sheet and/or mattress protector.
Quilted under the cover is a 0.5-inch fiber layer which allows for more airflow, plus 1 inch of gel memory foam for some initial plushness.
There are 4 inches of comfort layers in total, divided into 2 inches of gel memory foam and 2 inches of polyfoam. The top comfort layer is laminated with a thin cooling layer made of phase change material, which is designed to absorb body heat and keep the surface of the bed cool.
The memory foam comfort layer has a density of 4 pounds per cubic foot (PCF), which is considered medium-density for memory foam. This layer provides a contouring cradle that helps alleviate pressure points, and is infused with gel beads designed to combat the heat retention of traditional memory foam.
Underneath this, the polyfoam layer provides some resilience and additional contouring.
The support core consists of 7.5 inches of high-density polyfoam with a density of 2 PCF, which is on a par with other foam mattresses. This layer promotes proper spinal alignment by supporting the body and preventing heavier body parts from sinking in too far.
At 13 inches tall, the GhostBed Luxe is well above average for an all-foam mattress, due mainly to the padded cover which raises the thickness of the comfort layers. This thicker comfort layer section, in conjunction with the generous support core, provides a sufficient cradle for heavyweight side and back sleepers that may sink in too far with other foam mattresses.
Customers considering buying the GhostBed Luxe should keep in mind that taller mattresses require deep-pocket sheets.
|Product Name||Firmness||Thickness||Support Core Components||Comfort Layer Components||Cover Components|
|GhostBed Luxe||5 (Medium)||13”||7 1/2” 2 PCF HD Polyfoam||PCM Top Layer
2” Gel Memory Foam
2” HD Polyfoam
|1/2” Fiber Padding
1” Gel Memory Foam
What Are the Firmness and Feel Like?
According to GhostBed, the GhostBed Luxe falls between a 5.5 and a 6 out of 10 in terms of firmness. Our testing team rated the mattress as a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, or medium. The mattress contours closely, leading to the sensation to sleeping “in” and not “on” the mattress.
The mattress is well suited to side sleepers and lightweight sleepers as it forms a plush cradle to alleviate the pressure points these groups often experience with firmer mattresses. However, the tall comfort layers and responsive transitional layer also provide a deep cradle and sufficient support to make this mattress suitable for side sleepers and back sleepers of all weight categories, even those who weigh more than 230 pounds.
Next, let’s take a closer look at our performance ratings for the GhostBed Luxe Mattress. These ratings are based on findings from our internal and external testing teams, as well as verified owner and customer experiences with the mattress.
The GhostBed Luxe hasn’t been on the market very long, but based on our analysis of its materials and construction, we expect it to have a lifespan of about six and a half years. This is comparable to other all-foam mattresses.
The main durability issue with memory foam mattresses is their tendency to develop permanent body impressions over time. The GhostBed Luxe only has 3 inches of memory foam and is well supported by high-density transition and support layers. Nonetheless, we recommend rotating the mattress head-to-foot every 3 to 6 months to delay any sagging.
To test how well the mattress isolated motion transfer when sleeping with a partner, we asked one tester to lie on the bed and feel for movement while another tester changed positions. All testers agreed the GhostBed Luxe did a very good job of absorbing motion, causing minimal disturbance to the other person even when getting in and out of bed.
These results are not surprising given that the mattress’s comfort layers are primarily made of memory foam, a material known for its exceptional motion isolation. The polyfoam transitional layer does add some bounce, but this is not enough to cause any significant disturbance except in very sensitive sleepers.
We noticed very little off-gassing when unboxing the mattress. Some members of our sleep team caught a faint whiff of the typical new mattress smell, but this dissipated very quickly once we let the mattress air out.
All foam mattresses release some initial odors as a result of the manufacturing process and the way they are shrinkwrapped for shipping. GhostBed uses CertiPUR-US certified foams that are low in volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, keeping these odors to a minimum.
To test the mattress’s conforming abilities, we had our sleep testers lie on a sensory pad while we monitored for pressure points forming where the body hit the surface of the bed. The GhostBed Luxe conforms closely to the body, and our sleep team found the mattress did a great job of relieving pressure points.
Thanks to its medium firmness level, our lightweight and side sleepers were especially pleased with the mattress’s pressure-relieving capabilities. These groups often experience pressure points in the hips and shoulders on firmer mattresses that don’t allow as much give.
A common drawback with memory foam mattresses is that they trap heat, but the many cooling features incorporated into the GhostBed Luxe earned very positive reviews from our sleep team.
Thanks to the phase-change material and fiber padding, the mattress succeeded in drawing heat away from the body and letting it dissipate instead of building up overnight. Even our sleep testers who regularly feel uncomfortably hot during the night found this mattress to provide very good temperature neutrality.
For an all-foam mattress, the GhostBed Luxe did very well on edge support. During our testing our team was able to lie near the edge of the bed without feeling like they were going to fall off. Despite some sagging around the perimeter, it was also supportive enough for sitting on the edge of the bed.
The GhostBed Luxe has a tall support core and a high-density polyfoam transitional layer, both of which are very firm and contribute to the edge support. Since the mattress only has 3.5 inches of softer comfort layers, most individuals won’t experience too much compression when exerting pressure on the edges.
Sensitive sleepers on our sleep team found that the GhostBed Luxe produced slightly more noise than usual for an all-foam mattress, although nothing near the squeaks and creaks produced by the typical innerspring or hybrid mattress. In general, people who sleep with a partner should find this mattress muffles most sounds.
Thanks to the responsive transitional layer, the GhostBed Luxe provides a better-than-average surface for sex compared with other memory foam mattresses. This resilient polyfoam layer facilitates switching positions, while the memory foam provides traction. Meanwhile, the strong edge support enables couples to use the whole surface of the bed without fearing they might fall off.
Next, we’ll take a closer look at the sleeper ratings for the GhostBed Luxe. We take care to include sleep testers with a range of body types and sleep position preferences, as these factors influence the way an individual interacts with a mattress. Here’s a breakdown of how the GhostBed Luxe performed for our different sleep testers.
Lightweight Sleepers – Less than 130 lbs.
Lightweight sleepers on our testing team found the GhostBed Luxe formed a closely conforming cradle that reduced pressure points and kept the spine fully supported. Sleepers who weigh less than 130 pounds do not exert as much pressure on a mattress and often find mattresses to be too firm, but this was not the case with the GhostBed Luxe.
Side sleepers, who sometimes experience pressure in the hips and shoulders where they dig into the mattress, were pleased to find the mattress provided ample cushioning to reduce pressure build-up. The GhostBed Luxe also cushioned heavier body areas in stomach and back sleepers, while still being firm enough to keep the spine aligned for individuals in this weight category.
Average Weight Sleepers – 130 to 230 lbs.
The GhostBed Luxe performed exceptionally well for average weight side sleepers on our testing team, contouring to heavier body parts such as the hips and shoulders to alleviate pressure points.
Back sleepers and stomach sleepers were also fairly comfortable on the GhostBed Luxe, but experienced some sagging under the hips. Over time this may lead to back pain as a result of the spine not being properly supported.
Individuals who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds mostly prefer medium firm mattresses that offer a balance of support and pressure relief. The GhostBed Luxe is on the plush end of this range, which is the reason why some sleep positions do not rate as highly with our average weight sleeper group.
Heavyweight Sleepers – More than 230 lbs.
Our heavyweight sleep testers were very comfortable when lying on their side in the GhostBed Luxe, finding that the mattress did a good job of cushioning pressure points.
Since individuals who weigh more than 230 pounds sink further into the mattress, they tend to require mattresses with extra support and a firmer sleep surface to prevent the spine from falling out of alignment. The GhostBed Luxe is a relatively plush mattress, but the high-density polyfoam transitional layer and relatively thick support layer make it suitable for back sleepers as well.
The only sleep position that was markedly uncomfortable was stomach sleeping. Our testers found the mattress allowed the hips to sink in too far and failed to provide adequate spinal support in this position.
Pricing and Discounts
- Twin $1,145
- Twin XL $1,350
- Full $1,470
- Queen $1,575
- King $1,885
- California King $1,925
How Does the GhostBed Luxe Mattress Compare to Other Beds?
GhostBed Luxe vs. The GhostBed
GhostBed’s flagship mattress is an 11-inch mixed-foam mattress with a layer of latex, a layer of gel memory foam, and the same high-density polyfoam core as the GhostBed Luxe. In terms of firmness it’s a 6 out of 10, or medium firm. This firmer surface makes it more suitable for average weight and heavyweight sleepers, while the GhostBed Luxe is best suited to lightweight sleepers.
Both mattresses provide above-average pressure relief and motion isolation, but the GhostBed Luxe succeeds in providing better temperature neutrality thanks to its cooling features. The responsive transitional layer in the GhostBed Luxe also gives it stronger edge support and a slight bouncy feel which facilitates sex. In spite of its many advantages over the GhostBed, the GhostBed Luxe is considerably more expensive, so shoppers will need to consider whether it’s worth the investment.
GhostBed Luxe vs. GhostBed Flex
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid memory foam mattress with cooling fiber and gel memory foam quilted into the cover. The mattress is 13 inches tall and is considered medium firm, or 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale.
The GhostBed Luxe and the GhostBed Flex are priced similarly and offer comparable levels of pressure relief, motion isolation, edge support, and temperature regulation. As a hybrid mattress, the GhostBed Flex is more prone to emitting the odd creak or squeak from its coil layer.
The same coil support core also provides the additional support needed for heavyweight and even average weight sleepers, while the softer feel of the GhostBed Luxe conforms more closely to lightweight sleepers to reduce pressure points.
GhostBed Luxe vs. Loom & Leaf
An all-foam mattress just the GhostBed Luxe, the Loom & Leaf incorporates an organic cotton cover, convoluted gel memory foam, memory foam, and high-density polyfoam in a 12-inch profile. The mattress is available in two firmness levels: 5.5 (medium) and 8 (firm). Despite their similar construction and price-point, the GhostBed Luxe and Loom & Leaf each offer distinct advantages and disadvantages.
The GhostBed Luxe performs significantly better on temperature regulation thanks to its phase-change materials. This mattress also has superior edge support and more resilience, making it better for sex. On the other hand, the Loom & Leaf offers better motion isolation as well as tailored pressure relief for a wider range of body types thanks to its two firmness levels.
GhostBed Luxe vs. GravityLux
The GravityLux by WinkBed is an all-foam mattress with a quilted gel-infused polyfoam cover, memory foam, and zoned polyfoam layers over a high-density polyfoam support core. The zoned transitional layer includes firmer foam under the back and hips to help promote proper spinal alignment. The mattress has a 12-inch profile and comes in three different firmness levels: medium soft (4), medium (5), and firm (7).
The medium soft and medium versions of the GravityLux mattress offer close conforming and pressure relief. Like the GhostBed Luxe, these firmness options are well suited to lightweight sleepers and side sleepers. In turn, the firm version of the GravityLux mattress provides a more robust surface that helps to support the hips and promote proper spinal alignment in heavier individuals and stomach sleepers.
The GhostBed Luxe has a slightly more responsive surface and stronger edges, facilitating sex and making this a better choice for couples. Because of its phase-change material, the GhostBed Luxe also provides a cooler sleep experience. Both mattresses cost about the same.
GhostBed Luxe vs. Puffy Lux
Gel-infused memory foam, two polyfoam comfort layers, and a high-density polyfoam base layer combine to give the Puffy Lux a plush feel that falls at a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, or medium. The mattress is 12 inches thick.
The Puffy Lux is more representative of a typical foam mattress, with excellent motion isolation and pressure relief but poor edge support, responsiveness, and heat retention. Both mattresses contour to reduce pressure points in lightweight sleepers, but the GhostBed Luxe provides slightly more support for heavyweight side and back sleepers.
Expect to pay a bit more for the Puffy Lux, which may be worth the price if you value pressure relief and motion isolation above everything else.
GhostBed Luxe vs. Bear Pro
As with the GhostBed Luxe, the Bear Pro mattress was designed with a focus on cooling. A proprietary fabric and copper infusions in the top comfort layer are designed to pull heat away from the body, while further comfort layers of gel memory foam and responsive polyfoam form a pressure-relieving cradle. Supported by a high-density polyfoam base, the Bear Pro has a 12-inch profile and a firmness level of 6 out of 10, or medium firm.
The phase-change material in the GhostBed Luxe does a much better job at maintaining a neutral temperature overnight. The GhostBed Luxe also has a bouncier surface which lends itself to sex, as well as stronger edges which make it possible to use the full surface area without feeling unstable around the perimeter.
All this being said, the Bear Pro comes at a very affordable price-point and receives decent, if not outstanding, reviews across different weight categories and sleeping positions.
Loom & Leaf Mattress
Puffy Lux Mattress
|SLEEP TRIAL||101 nights||101 nights||101 nights||180 nights||120 nights||101 nights||365 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||25 years||20 Year||25 Year||15 Year||Lifetime||Lifetime||Lifetime|
GhostBed Luxe Mattress FAQ
Sleep Trial 101 nights, 30-day break-in period
Shipping All 50 U.S. states
Warranty 25-year, prorated
Made In USA
Where Can I Buy the GhostBed Luxe Mattress?
The GhostBed Luxe is available for purchase on GhostBed.com and through some third-party online retailers.
Where Do They Ship?
GhostBed ships to all 50 U.S. states, with a $600 delivery fee for Alaska and Hawaii.
White Glove Delivery?
Optional White Glove delivery costs $199 for 1 to 2 items, and $299 for 3 or more items.
Old Mattress Removal?
Old mattress removal is bundled with White Glove delivery.
Full Delivery Policy
The full delivery policy for the GhostBed Luxe is as follows:
- The GhostBed Luxe ships free within the contiguous U.S. via FedEx and usually arrives within 2 to 5 business days. Orders from Hawaii and Alaska are subject to a $600 freight fee.
- The mattress is compressed and shrinkwrapped for shipping. To set it up, place it on the foundation, carefully remove the plastic, let it unfold, and allow a few hours for the mattress to regain its original size (this process may take a few days in colder climates).
- Customers in the contiguous U.S. who wish to have their mattress delivered with White Glove delivery can do so for an additional fee of $199, or $299 for 3 or more items. A third-party partner will be in touch within 3 to 5 business days to arrange a delivery date. White Glove delivery includes old mattress removal, but mattresses delivered with White Glove delivery are not eligible for the sleep trial.
Trial Period and Warranty Details
- GhostBed offers a 101-night sleep trial for mattresses sold within the contiguous U.S., with a mandatory 30-day break-in period. Customers who wish to return the mattress between the 30th and 101st nights can contact the company, who will pick up the mattress and provide a full refund usually within 3 business days. Returned mattresses are recycled or donated to a local charity.
- The sleep trial does not cover errors in ordering or sizing, finances, cancellation or cancellation requests, or any other changes in circumstances. It is meant as a way to let customers test the feel of the GhostBed before committing to the mattress.
- Returns are limited to one per household for original purchasers who bought the bed from the GhostBed website. Amazon customers must abide by the terms of Amazon’s 30-day return policy, and Groupon customers are not eligible for any sleep trial. Soiled or otherwise damaged mattresses are not eligible for return.
- The GhostBed Luxe is covered by a 25-year limited warranty from Nature’s Sleep, the parent company. Mattresses deemed defective in materials or workmanship under the terms of the warranty will be repaired or replaced, at the company’s discretion.
- For the first 10 years, GhostBed will replace or repair defective mattresses and customers shall only be responsible for handling or transportation costs. From years 11 through 25, the company will either repair the mattress and charge the owner a handling cost, or replace the mattress and charge the owner transportation costs and a prorated charge. The prorated charges start at 50 percent of the original purchase price in year 11 and increase by 5 percent from years 12 through 15, 4 percent in years 16 through 20, and 1 percent in years 25 through 25.
- The warranty covers permanent indentations of at least 1 inch and physical flaws causing splitting or cracking.
- Mattresses that have been used with an improper foundation, including slats that are more than 4 inches apart, or otherwise subjected to improper use or handling are not covered under the warranty. Nor does the warranty cover normal changes in feel or decrease in recovery of the foams which do not affect the mattress’s pressure-relieving qualities or performance, or decrease in the cooling properties.
- The limited warranty applies only to the original owner, for mattresses purchased through GhostBed or an authorized retailer. Original proof of purchase listing purchase date, place of purchase, and price must be provided when submitting a warranty claim.
- Customers are required to register their GhostBed on GhostBed.com within 30 days of purchase in order to be covered by the warranty.
- The mattress cover is covered by its own separate 1-year warranty against faulty materials and workmanship. This warranty shall be void in the case of stained, abused, torn, or otherwise damaged covers.
8 out of 10 owner experiences show customers have had a positive experience with GhostBed, irrespective of whether or not they liked their mattress.
Parent company Nature’s Sleep has been around since 2001 and launched the original GhostBed in 2015. The GhostBed Luxe has been on the market since 2017.
Nature’s Sleep, operating under Werner Media Partners LLC, has earned an A+ from the Better Business Bureau.
GhostBed does not operate any brick-and-mortar retail stores but the company does have one showroom in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Find GhostBed on Social