- Original Purple
- New Purple
Meet Our Testing Team
- Exceptionally cool (temperature neutral – especially the new purple mattress
- Two different product offerings to meet the preferences of all shoppers
- Multiple thickness and firmness options
- Highly conforming, reducing pain and providing great pressure relief
- Sleeps exceptionally cool
- Very good motion isolation
- Free shipping in the contiguous U.S.
- Relatively heavy and difficult to move
- Fair edge support (original purple)
- High price-point for New Purple mattress
- Low profile of Purple mattress may cause difficulty when getting in and out of bed
Purple offers two mattresses that are quite a bit different than the typical mattress you’ll find in a store or online. Both the Purple Mattress and the New Purple use a proprietary buckling column gel (known as ‘Smart Grid’) in the comfort layer. It provides a unique feel that is equally pressure relieving and cool to sleep on.
The Purple Mattress is their original offering and combines the elastic polymer reinforced with buckling column gel above two layers of polyfoam. As a Medium Firm (6.5) feel, the Purple appeals to most shoppers and preferences. It conforms extremely closely to the body’s sensitive points, such as your shoulders and mid-back. We expect this bed to be durable enough to last at least 7 years.
The New Purple mattress, as a hybrid bed, is a favorite here at Tuck. Purple has again made use of their Smart Grid technology in the comfort zone that tops these hybrid mattresses. The New Purple is available in three thicknesses – 11″, 12″, and 13″ – and firmness ranges between Medium Soft (4.5), Medium (5.5), and Medium Firm (6.5) depending on which model you select.
Overall, owner experiences and our own testing shows the New Purple to be of the utmost quality. As you can see below, we have given it many different awards. The Purple original also rates highly, especially at its price point.
Tuck readers receive the best price on their Purple mattressCheck Lowest Prices
What Type of Sleeper Is Best Suited to a Purple Mattress?
Based on our internal testing and verified customer feedback, Purple and New Purple mattresses received the following grades among sleepers of different weights and preferred sleep positions.
Please note that these ratings are subjective, and that everyone has varying experiences on different mattresses.
Sleeper comfort and spinal support are the most important factors when it comes to selecting a mattress.
- Purple Bed
- New Purple
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
As you can see from our ratings above, the Purple has shown to be a great choice for back and stomach sleepers of all weights. While lighter side sleepers might find it a bit too firm, average and heavier folks really enjoy a perfect amount of conforming and sink from this bed.
The New Purple, on the other hand, is exceptional for every body profile and sleep style. It has give in the areas where you dig further into the mattress, like your shoulders and hips, at the same time giving you mid-back support. We recommend the 4″ model for heavier sleepers and the 2″ for those of you who are lighter weight.
Purple Mattress Recommendations
- You haven’t found the right comfort in a memory foam or innerspring mattress.
- You sleep warm and require a mattress to better disperse heat.
- You have sensitive pressure points that need to be lightly cushioned against. Especially, in your shoulders, hips, and lower back.
- You sleep with a partner and want to limit the movement you feel on the bed.
Tuck Gives the Following Awards
Best Mattress for Scoliosis
Best for Luxury - Best Mattress for Scoliosis (New Purple)
Best Mattress for Acid Reflux
Best for Heavyweight Sleepers - Best Mattresses for Acid Reflux (New Purple)
Best Mattress for Teenagers
Best Luxury - Best Mattresses for Teenagers (Original Purple)
Best Mattress on Amazon
Best Luxury - Best Mattresses on Amazon (Original Purple)
How Do Purple Mattresses Compare to Other Beds?
The Purple mattress and its hybrid brother, the New Purple, are unique beds in their Smart Comfort Grid comfort layers.
The Purple mattress is most comparable to foam mattresses, like the Layla and the Leesa. The New Purple, as a hybrid build, is most comparable to higher-end, luxury hybrid mattresses such as the WinkBed and the DreamCloud.
The first two selections below offer comparisons to the original Purple, while the second two mattresses are used to compare with the New Purple.
Similar Mattress Options
|FIRMNESS||5||4, 7||4.5 ,6.5, 7.5||6.5|
|SLEEP TRIAL||100 nights||120 nights||120 nights||365 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||10 Year, Limited||Lifetime||Lifetime||Lifetime|
Mattress Technical Details
What You Need to Know About Purple Mattresses
Sizing and Pricing
- Twin N/A Purple N/A New Purple 2 N/A New Purple 3 N/A New Purple 4
- Twin XL $699 Purple $1,299 New Purple 2 $1,899 New Purple 3 $2,499 New Purple 4
- Full $899 Purple N/A New Purple 2 N/A New Purple 3 N/A New Purple 4
- Queen $999 Purple $1,599 New Purple 2 $2,199 New Purple 3 $2,799 New Purple 4
- King $1,299 Purple $1,899 New Purple 2 $2,699 New Purple 3 $3,499 New Purple 4
- Cali King $1,299 Purple $1,899 New Purple 2 $2,699 New Purple 3 $3,499 New Purple 4
Construction and Firmness
Purple mattresses are available in a Medium Firm firmness setting, which is roughly equivalent to a 6.5 on our 1-10 firmness scale. The table below provides a detailed breakdown of mattress components and dimensions.
|Product Name||Firmness Rating||Thickness||Support Core Components||Comfort Layer Components||Cover Components|
|Purple Mattress||6.5 (Medium Firm)||9 1/2″||4″ 2 PCF HD Polyfoam||2″ ‘Smart Comfort Grid’ Buckling Column Gel
3 1/2″ 1.8 PCF Polyfoam
4% Lycra® Spandex
|New Purple Mattress||6.5 (Medium Firm)||11″||7 1/2″ Pocketed Coils||2″ ‘Smart Comfort Grid’ Buckling Column Gel||98% Polyester
|5.5 (Medium)||12″||3″ ‘Smart Comfort Grid’ Buckling Column Gel|
|4.5 (Medium Soft)||13″||4″ ‘Smart Comfort Grid’ Buckling Column Gel|
Firmness is rated on a scale of 1 to 10. For more information on how firmness is calculated, please visit our Mattress Firmness page.
The Purple mattress is available on the Purple website, as well as other online retailers like Amazon.com. Purple is also available in select mattress firm locations throughout the United States.
Purple Coupons and Discounts
Sleep Trial 100 Nights
Warranty 10 Years, non-prorated
Made In USA
How is the Mattress Shipped?
The Purple mattress is compressed, vacuum sealed, and boxed for shipping. The New Purple is not compressed and ships with free white glove delivery.
Where Do They Ship?
Purple ships mattresses anywhere in the United States and Canada.
White Glove Delivery
The New Purple is offered with free in-home setup and old mattress removal. The Original Purple is not.
Full Shipping Details
The delivery policy for Purple mattresses is as follows:
- Standard deliveries are made within five business days. Customers that request expedited shipping can expect their mattress to be delivered within two business days.
- Purple reserves the right to cancel orders that appear to have been made by dealers or retailers for resale purposes, and not for private use.
- Orders may not be cancelled once they have shipped.
- Deliveries and returns may take longer for mattresses shipped to rural areas of the U.S. Specific delivery time estimates are not available, but Purple ships mattresses using UPS, FedEx, and other courier services.
Old Mattress Removal?
Purple provides free removal of your old mattress with the purchase of any New Purple bed. However, because UPS and Fedex couriers provide their deliveries, when you buy the original Purple, they do not offer removal services for old mattresses.
Trial Period & Warranty Details
Trial Period and Guarantee:
Purple offers a 100-night sleep trial for all mattresses.
- The sleep trial begins on the original date of purchase. The Purple mattress may be returned for a refund or exchanged for another mattress at any point during this sleep trial.
- There is not a mandatory break-in period, but Purple recommends testing out the mattress for at least 30 nights in order to properly break it in.
- If an owner opts to exchange the mattress, the second model will not be eligible for the sleep trial.
- Purple will cover all shipping and handling expenses associated with returns and exchanges, unless there are ‘extenuating circumstances.’ Purple will notify customers before charges are applied for these reasons.
- Customers must contact Purple by phone in order to begin the return/exchange process. Returns and exchanges may not be facilitated over social media.
Purple offers a 10-year nonprorated warranty:
- The warranty coverage will begin on the date of purchase. Purple will, at their sole option, repair or replace mattresses with defects for as long as the warranty is valid.
- According to the warranty, the mattress must be “used on a firm, flat, solid-surface, non-spring foundation (whether non-moving type or adjustable type) sufficiently strong to remain flat and firm under the weight of the mattress and its users, from the date of delivery onward to the date of the warranty claim without interruption.” Additionally, Queen-size mattresses and larger must be used on foundations with at least five legs and center support. Failure to do so will void the warranty.
- The warranty will cover the following defects:
Visible indentations that are deeper than one inch (1″) and do not return to their original shape ‘after full recovery from load’. The mattress must be resting flat on the floor when the indentation is measured.
Cracks, splits, and other forms of damage that occur despite proper use and foundational support.
- The warranty of a Purple mattress will not cover the following:
Indentations that do not measure one inch (1″) or deeper.
Burns, cuts, tears, stains and other types of physical damage that occur due to owner abuse, improper cleaning, and/or inadequate foundational support.
Signs of rodents, insect damage, or other infestation.
Damage from weather or sun exposure.
- The mattress cover is not included in the mattress warranty, and will be protected under a separate warranty for two years after the original purchase. Purple reserves the right to repair or replace the cover, depending on the nature of the claim. The owner will be required to pay transportation and inspection costs for cover damages.
- The warranty is exclusively offered to original owners who purchase the mattress from Purple or an authorized retailer and kept the mattress within the United States. The warranty will be voided if the mattress is resold or gifted to another owner, or if the mattress leaves the U.S.
7 out of 10 owner experiences show customers have had a positive experience with Purple, irrespective of whether or not they liked their mattress.
Purple, Inc was founded in 2015 following a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised more than $170,000 in 45 days. Purple mattresses first became available for purchase in January 2016; the New Purple was introduced in 2018.
Purple does not operate any physical stores but Purple mattresses are available in select Mattress Firm stores throughout the United States.
Find Purple on Social