Meet Our Testing Team
- Exceptionally long expected lifespan
- Year-round temperature neutrality
- Sustainably sourced mattress components
- Below-average price-point for a latex hybrid
- One firmness/thickness option available
- Sleep trial requires a 30-night break-in period
Tuck readers save $200 on Birch mattresses.SAVE $200
Birch by Helix is a mattress brand that belongs to the Helix Sleep family. The brand’s flagship bed, the Birch Mattress, is a latex hybrid made from natural and organic materials. The mattress is constructed with a top comfort layer of natural and organic wool, followed by a second comfort layer of natural Talalay latex. The support core features pocketed steel coils and a base layer of natural and organic wool batting. The Birch Mattress has a cover made of organic-cotton, along with a fire barrier of natural wool and rayon. It measures 11″ thick; in terms of firmness, the Birch Mattress is considered ‘Medium Firm,’ or a 6.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale.
The Birch Mattress is suitable for eco-conscious shoppers because it contains natural and certified-organic materials that are sustainably sourced. The bed also offers great temperature neutrality; the wool components help regulate the sleeper’s temperature, keeping them cool during hotter months and warm when the temperatures drop, while strong air circulation through the coil layer can be beneficial to exceptionally hot sleepers. And because it is constructed with wool, latex, and steel coils, the Birch Mattress has an expected lifespan of at least eight years.
Birch offers free shipping to customers in all 50 states. The mattress is backed by a 100-night sleep trial and a 25-year warranty. Read on to learn more about the Birch Mattress in terms of pricing, construction, and performance. This guide also includes an overview of the brand’s shipping, return, and warranty policies, along with a few similar mattress recommendations.
What Type of Sleeper is Best Suited to a Birch Mattress?
Based on our customer feedback, the Birch Mattress has received the following grades among sleepers of different weights and preferred sleep positions. Please note that these ratings are subjective, and that everyone has varying experiences on different mattresses. Sleeper comfort and spinal support are the most important factors when it comes to selecting a mattress.
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
Birch Mattress Recommendations
The Birch Mattress has a ‘Medium Firm’ (6.5) feel and an 11 inch profile. These settings are ideal for back and stomach sleepers who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds, as well as side sleepers weighing more than 230 pounds. Lighter individuals may find the mattress a little too firm; this is particularly true of lighter side sleepers, who often need extra softness to cradle their hips and shoulders for better spinal alignment.
The Birch Mattress has a wool comfort layer that cushions the sleeper’s body, but it does not conform as closely as other common mattress materials such as memory foam or latex; the secondary latex comfort layer does provide some conforming quality.
- You want to buy a wool and latex hybrid at a below-average price-point
- You tend to sleep too hot and/or too cold
- You are an eco-conscious consumer, or otherwise interested in an organic product
- You weigh at least 130 pounds
How Does the Birch Mattress Compare to Other Beds?
As any consumer does with a product they’re considering, our mattress assessments naturally involve comparing them with other similar products. Be it composition, firmness, or price, we think it’s important to see how Birch Mattresses stack up to other beds.
The Birch Mattress is a hybrid constructed with wool and latex comfort layers, along with an organic-cotton cover and a pocketed coil support core. The mattress is ideal for eco-friendly shoppers seeking a bed made from responsibly sourced materials. It also provides great temperature neutrality due to the temperature-regulating properties of wool and latex. The mattress is ‘Medium Firm’ and conforms to a minimal extent.
Check out our selections below if you’d like to see a few comparable mattresses.
Similar Mattress Options
Latex For Less Mattress
|SLEEP TRIAL||365 nights||120 nights||100 nights||90 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||25 Year, Limited||20 year||10 years||10 years, limited|
Mattress Technical Details
What You Need to Know About the Birch Mattress
Sizing and Pricing
- Twin $1,049
- Twin XL $1,099
- Full $1,299
- Queen $1,499
- King $1,799
- Cali King $1,799
Construction and Firmness
Let’s take a closer look at how the Birch Mattress is made. The following table lists firmness, thickness, and material composition specs for the bed. Please note that Birch does not disclose thickness measurements for individual mattress layers.
Firmness is rated on a scale of 1 to 10. For more information on how firmness is calculated, please visit our Mattress Firmness page.
|Product Name||Firmness Options||Thickness||Support Core Components||Comfort Layer Components||Cover Components|
|Birch Mattress||6.5 (Medium Firm)||11″||Pocketed Coils
100% Natural and Organic Wool Batting
|100% Natural and Organic Wool
Natural Talalay Latex
|100% Organic Cotton
Natural Wool and Rayon Fire Barrier
The Birch Mattress is exclusively sold on the Birch website. The bed is not available through any third-party retailers at this time, including Amazon.com, and the company does not operate any brick-and-mortar locations.
Birch Coupons and Discounts
Sleep Trial 100 nights
Shipping Compressed and shipped in a box
Warranty 25 years, non-transferable
Made In USA
How is the Mattress Shipped?
Compressed, roll-packed, and shipped in a box
Where Do They Ship?
All 50 states
White Glove Delivery?
No, Birch does not offer White Glove delivery
Full Shipping Details
The delivery policy for Birch is as follows:
- In most cases, customers receive their mattress within five to seven business days of placing their original order. All mattresses are shipped using FedEx Ground; a customer signature is not required for delivery.
- Standard shipping is free for customers in all 50 states. Birch does not offer expedited or White Glove delivery.
- All customers receive an email with a tracking number as soon as their mattress ships.
Old Mattress Removal
Birch does not offer old mattress removal with any orders.
Old Mattress Removal?
Birch does not offer old mattress removal with any orders.
Trial Period & Warranty Details
Trial Period and Guarantee
Birch offers a 100-night sleep trial for the Birch Mattress.
- This sleep trial includes a mandatory 30-night break-in period. Customers may not return the mattress for a full refund until at least 30 nights have elapsed.
- Birch issues full refunds for all returns. Customers should receive their refund on the original form of payment within five to seven business days; those who use programs like PayPal or Klarna may receive their refund more quickly.
- All returned mattresses are either donated to charity or recycled.
Birch offers a 25-year warranty:
- This warranty is partially prorated. During the first 10 years of ownership, Birch will repair or replace a defective mattress at no extra cost to the owner. Prorated coverage kicks in during the 11th year, when owners pay 50% of the original mattress price if a replacement is needed. Prorated charges increase by 5% for each successive year (55% in year 12, 60% in year 13, etc.) until the 21st year, at which point customers pay a flat prorated charge of 95% of the original price until the warranty expires.
- Mattress repairs or replacements will not extend the original warranty, nor will they lead to a new warranty.
- Warranty coverage is contingent on proper foundational support. According to Birch, the mattress must be used with “a firm, solid-surface, on a bed base that is structurally capable” of supporting both the mattress and its users. The warranty will be voided if damage occurs due to improper foundational support.
- The warranty will cover the following defects:
Sagging or indentations in the sleep surface measuring one inch (1″) or deeper.
Physical flaws in the mattress that cause latex and other materials to split or crack.
Manufacturing flaws in the cover assembly that are not related to normal wear and tear.
- The warranty will not cover the following:
Sagging or indentations in the sleep surface that do not measure one inch (1″) or deeper, or normal softening of comfort materials that does not affect their pressure-relieving abilities. These issues are considered normal wear and tear.
Repair or replacement requests that occur due to changes in the owner’s comfort preferences.
Burns, cuts, tears, stains, and other types of physical damage that occur due to abuse, misuse, or neglect.
- This warranty is non-transferable. It is exclusively available to original owners who purchase their mattress from Birch or an authorized retailer. Those who buy or acquire their mattress from the original owner or a non-authorized retailer do not receive warranty coverage.
As a new brand, we don’t have enough consumer feedback data to draw conclusions on customer support.
Birch launched in 2019. The brand’s parent company, Helix Sleep, has been in business since 2015.
Birch does not operate any brick-and-mortar locations.
Find Birch on Social