Meet Our Testing Team
- Bear Mattress
- The Saatva offers traditional innerspring responsiveness and support, making it ideal for sleepers who prefer bouncier mattresses.
- The coil layers promote steady air circulation to regulate the bed’s core temperature and help sleepers remain cool on the surface.
- Measuring 11.5 or 14.5 inches – depending on the selected profile – the Saatva is optimal for people who’d rather sleep on a relatively thick mattress.
Bear Mattress Highlights
- Due to its mixed foam design, the Bear Mattress delivers even body-contouring with light responsiveness on the surface.
- The bed’s foam layers absorb motion from sleeper movements very well, so couples can sleep more soundly. The mattress is also completely silent.
- While many competing all-foam beds sleep hot, the Bear Mattress is constructed from more breathable foams that don’t trap excessive heat for most sleepers.
Sleep Position Ratings
The Saatva is available in three firmness levels, each of which is best suited to certain sleep positions and body types. The medium soft feel conforms closest to the sleeper’s body thanks to some extra polyfoam cushioning in its Euro-top layer. This may lead to excessive sinkage for heavier individuals, but people who weigh less than 130 pounds should receive adequate support. This is especially true for side sleepers, who often need more cushioning to align the shoulders, spine, and hips and reduce pressure points in sensitive areas.
The medium firm feel also conforms a bit, but sleepers feel more support and less sinkage on this model than its medium soft counterpart. We recommend the medium firm model to side, back, and stomach sleepers weighing between 130 and 230 pounds. Saatva mattresses with a firm feel barely conform at all but they feel very supportive, making them optimal for many back and stomach sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds.
The Bear Mattress offers a firm feel. The top memory foam layer promotes even contouring throughout the body, while the underlying polyfoam transitional layer is somewhat responsive. As a result, lying on the Bear Mattress is akin to both sleeping “on” and sleeping “in” the bed. The surface does not feel excessively firm, but sleepers won’t sink too deeply, either.
Side sleepers who weigh more than 130 pounds should find the mattress reasonably comfortable and supportive. Those who weigh less than 130 pounds may find this model a bit too firm, causing pressure to build. We also recommend the Bear Mattress to back sleepers of all sizes. Its supportive feel ensures back sleepers will receive even support for their torso, midsection, and hips. Stomach sleepers should also feel well-supported, though some stomach sleepers over 130 pounds may sink into the mattress a bit.
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
Choose the Saatva if...
- You prefer a medium soft, medium firm, or firm mattress feel
- You enjoy the highly responsive surface of a coil-on-coil innerspring
- You want a mattress that sleeps fairly cool
- You’re looking for a bed with very strong edge support
Choose the Bear Mattress if...
- You prefer a firm mattress feel
- You experience frequent pressure points and/or lower back pain
- You share your bed with someone else and often wake up when they move around in bed
- You want a mattress that sleeps cool and won’t absorb too much body heat
Technical Details Comparison
Sizing and Pricing
Below, you’ll find current prices for the Saatva and Bear Mattress in every available size. Both models are available in the standard six mattress sizes. Additionally, the Saatva is sold in split king sizes.
- Twin $748 (Bear) $935 (Saatva)
- Twin XL $811 (Bear) $1,225 (Saatva)
- Full $873 (Bear) $1,695 (Saatva)
- Queen $998 (Bear) $1,795 (Saatva)
- King $1,248 (Bear) $2,195 (Saatva)
- Split King $2,450 (Saatva)
- Cal King $1,248 (Bear) $2,195 (Saatva)
The all-foam Bear Mattress and Saatva innerspring each offer very distinct designs. Below, you’ll find a full breakdown of firmness, thickness, weight, and layer composition specs for both models.
|Firmness Level||Medium Soft (4)
Medium Firm (6)
|Weight (Queen)||110 lbs. (11.5″)
120 lbs. (14.5″)
|Support Core Components||4″ 13-gauge Bonnell Coils (11.5″)
7″ 13-gauge Bonnell Coils (14.5″)
HD Polyfoam Coil Encasement
|6″ HD Polyfoam|
|Comfort Layer Components||Euro-top Cover Sewn with Polyfoam and Fiber Padding|
.375″ Memory Foam
4″ Pocketed Transitional Minicoils
|2″ Memory Foam Infused with Graphite Gel
2″ Transitional Polyfoam
|Cover Composition||Organic Cotton||Polyester and Celliant Fabric Blend|
How Is the Saatva Built?
Since the Saatva is available with different firmness levels and thickness profiles, the specific composition of this mattress will depend on the customer’s selections. All Saatva mattresses begin with a Euro-top layer sewn with polyfoam and fiber padding. The medium soft and medium firm models have softer polyfoam to create a plusher surface feel than the firm model. All Saatva mattresses also include comfort layers of polyfoam and memory foam, followed by a transitional layer of pocketed minicoils.
The Saatva’s support core contains bonnell (hourglass) coils made from recycled steel. This layer measures 4 inches thick in the 11.5-inch model, and 7 inches thick in the 14.5-inch model. These support coils, combined with the transitional minicoils, create an exceptionally responsive surface. The support coils are also encased in high-density polyfoam to reinforce the edges and prevent deep sinkage when owners get on and off the bed, and a base layer of fiber padding adds extra reinforcement. The entire mattress is encased in a soft and breathable organic cotton cover.
How Is the Bear Mattress Built?
The Bear Mattress has a 2-inch comfort layer of memory foam infused with graphite gel. This material conforms somewhat closely, and the graphite gel is intended to minimize excess body heat on the bed’s surface. Beneath the comfort layer lies a 2-inch transitional layer of polyfoam. This material is a bit denser than the memory foam found in the comfort layer, allowing most sleepers to lie on the mattress without sinking too deeply. The polyfoam also contributes to the bed’s semi-responsive surface feel.
The support core is made from high-density polyfoam. This material is very sturdy compared to the foams found in the comfort and transitional layers, and it provides good overall stability for the mattress. However, the foam protecting the perimeter is susceptible to deep sinkage when people get on and off the bed or lie near the edges. Some sleepers – especially those weighing more than 230 pounds – will not feel very secure sleeping along the edges of the Bear Mattress, and may feel confined to the middle of the bed.
Saatva Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 365 nights
Shipping Free White Glove delivery to contiguous U.S.
Warranty Lifetime, non-prorated
Made In USA & Canada
Trial Period Details
Saatva offers a 365-night sleep trial for the Saatva mattress.
- This sleep trial does not require a break-in period of any kind; customers may return their mattress for a refund at any point of the 365-night trial.
- In the event of a return, customers will be issued a full refund minus a flat transportation fee of $99.
- Size, firmness, and thickness exchanges are also offered during the 365-night trial. Customers may exchange their bed for a flat shipping fee of $99.
Saatva offers a lifetime warranty for the Saatva:
- The warranty is completely non-prorated. During the first two years, Saatva will replace a mattress at no extra charge if it is deemed defective. For the remaining warranty period, Saatva will repair and re-cover a Saatva mattress for a flat fee of $149.
- Saatva also offers the ‘Fairness Replacement Option’ in lieu of standard warranty coverage. Owners may purchase a new bed at a discounted rate, rather than having their current mattress repaired.. Saatva does not charge a delivery fee and owners may keep their old mattress at no extra cost.
- The warranty is contingent on the use of a proper support system. The warranty will be voided if a Queen or King mattress is used with a metal bed frame that does not have a five- or six-legged support structure. The warranty will also be voided if a Twin or Full mattress is used with a metal bed frame that does not have four legs.
- The warranty covers sagging or indentations in the sleep surface that measure 1 inch or deeper.
- The warranty does not cover sagging or indentations that measure less than 1 inch deep. Additionally, the warranty will not cover physical damage to the mattress, including burns, cuts, or stains.
- Customers must notify Saatva in writing regarding any claims.
- The warranty is exclusively available for original owners that purchase their mattress from Saatva or an authorized retailer. Those who buy or acquire their mattress from the original owner or a non-authorized retailer will not be eligible for warranty coverage.
Saatva’s delivery policy for Saatva mattresses is as follows:
- Saatva does not charge a cancellation fee prior to the day of delivery.
- Saatva mattresses are made to order, and delivery times vary by location. Customers can input their zip code on Saatva’s delivery information page to see the expected wait time for their location.
- Customers will be given a four-hour window for the time of delivery on the predetermined day. An adult (18 years or older) must be on the premises at the time of delivery. Couriers will wait 20 minutes if the customer is running late to meet them, after which point the delivery can be rescheduled at no extra charge.
- If the wrong mattress is delivered, then the customer may arrange a new delivery time at no additional cost. In the meantime, they will be allowed to use the incorrect mattress; once the correct delivery has been made, the original mattress will be donated to charity.
- If couriers cannot fit the mattress into the customer’s bedroom due to stairs or other obstacles, they will reschedule delivery for a mattress with a smaller size. Customers won’t need to pay any extra fees apart from an additional $99 transportation fee.
Bear Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 365 nights
Shipping Free to contiguous U.S. and Canada
Made In USA
Bear offers a 365-night sleep trial on all mattresses.
- This sleep trial includes a mandatory break-in period of 30 nights. Customers must test out the mattress for at least 30 nights before they can return it for a full refund. The sleep trial begins on the delivery date.
- Those who opt to return the mattress after 30 days will receive a complete refund, and will not be required to pay mattress removal and transportation fees. Free mattress pickup services will also be provided.
- Bear allows no more than one mattress return per customer, household, or address.
Bear offers a lifetime warranty for the Bear Mattress.
- Warranty coverage for the Bear Mattress begins on the date of original purchase.
- Bear will cover all repair or replacement costs if the mattress is deemed defective, including shipping and transportation expenses.
- The mattress warranty covers sagging or indentations in the sleep surface measuring 1.5 inches or deeper, as well as manufacturing flaws that cause foams and other materials to deteriorate prematurely.
- The warranty will not cover sagging or indentations that measure less than 1.5 inches deep. Additionally, Bear will not repair or replace the mattress due to changes in the owner’s comfort preferences, nor does the warranty cover physical damage such as burns, cuts, or stains.
- The warranty is exclusively offered to the original purchaser, and an original receipt or proof of purchase will be required to file any warranty claims.
The delivery policy for Bear mattresses is as follows:
- Standard ground shipping is free for all customers in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Extra fees are applied to those in Alaska and Hawaii.
- Standard Bear Mattress deliveries are provided through FedEx. Once the mattress has shipped from the company’s warehouse, customers should coordinate all delivery details with FedEx.
- Mattresses will usually ship from the company’s warehouse within two to four business days of the original purchase, and reach the customer’s address within four to seven business days.
- Couriers will deliver the mattress directly to the customer’s doorstep; an adult signature will not be required, and adults do not need to be present at the address during the delivery.
- In addition to standard shipping, Bear offers White Glove delivery for an additional fee of $150. This fee includes in-home mattress assembly and old mattress removal.
- Bear does not ship mattresses to army/air post offices (APOs).