- Puffy Mattress
- Saatva Mattress
Meet Our Testing Team
|FIRMNESS||5||4, 6, 7.5|
|SLEEP TRIAL||101 nights||365 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||Lifetime Warranty||Lifetime, Limited|
The Puffy Mattress Is Good for...
- Sleepers who enjoy the deep contour of soft memory foam
- Those who experience frequent back pain and/or pressure points
- People who awaken easily due to their sleep partner’s movements
The Saatva Mattress Is Good for...
- Sleepers who prefer the responsive, bouncy surface of a traditional innerspring
- Those who tend to sleep hot
- Shoppers seeking a mattress with a robust support system
Sleep Position Ratings
The Puffy offers a medium soft feel. The memory foam found in the comfort layer has a low density, so sleepers will feel very close contouring and sink deeply beneath the surface. For many side sleepers, this sensation is quite comfortable. Side sleepers typically need extra padding to align the shoulders, back, and hips. Proper alignment usually means less pressure throughout the body.
That said, side sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds are less likely to receive enough support. This can affect their spinal alignment as the shoulders and hips sink lower than the rest of the body. Back and stomach sleepers who weigh 130 pounds or more may run into a similar issue. Due to the bed’s softer feel, these sleepers may sink a bit too much around the torso and midsection. Neck and lower back pain is likely to develop as a result. Back and stomach sleepers who weigh less than 130 pounds should feel more comfortable on the Puffy Mattress, but they may still notice some uneven sinkage.
Firmness selection is a major advantage of the Saatva. Customers can choose from three distinct feels for their mattress. The medium soft option delivers the closest body-conforming. Sleepers still feel noticeable responsiveness from the coil-on-coil construction, but the polyfoam in the Euro-top layer has a plush feel with ample padding for side sleepers. The medium firm feel also features soft polyfoam in the Euro-top layer, but slightly less padding than the medium soft. The result is a fairly responsive surface with some moderate body-contouring. This firmness level is ideal for many side, back, and stomach sleepers weighing between 130 and 230 pounds.
For the firm Saatva, the foam padding in the Euro-top layer has a firmer feel. Sleepers don’t feel much contouring from these models, but support is very strong and sinkage is less likely for back and stomach sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds. For maximum reinforcement and responsiveness, customers can opt for a firm, 14.5-inch Saatva with thicker support coils.
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
Choose the Puffy Mattress if...
- You prefer a mid-level feel and close conforming from your mattress
- You tend to experience pressure in your shoulders, lower back, and/or hips
- You and your sleep partner want a bed that will isolate motion and reduce sleep disturbances
- You’re looking for a mattress sold at a below-average price-point
Choose the Saatva Mattress if...
- You prefer a responsive, springy feel from your mattress
- You normally sleep hot and want a bed that promotes steady airflow
- You like sleeping on mattresses with thicker profiles
- You’d rather not set up the bed yourself
Technical Details Comparison
Below, you’ll find prices for the Saatva and Puffy in all six standard mattress sizes. Additionally, the Saatva is available in a split king or split California king size for couples who use an adjustable bed. The Puffy Mattress is not available as a split king or split California king. Also, please note the Saatva’s firmness or thickness selection do not affect price-points for any size.
- Twin $599 (Puffy) $887 (Saatva)
- Twin XL $649 (Puffy) $1,148 (Saatva)
- Full $799 (Puffy) $1,595 (Saatva)
- Queen $949 (Puffy) $1,695 (Saatva)
- King $1,149 (Puffy) $2,095 (Saatva)
- Split King $2,296 (Saatva)
- Cal King $1,149 (Puffy) $2,095 (Saatva)
The table below lists firmness, thickness, weight, and composition specs for both mattresses. As you can see, the all-foam Puffy Mattress and Saatva innerspring are quite different in terms of construction and firmness.
|Firmness||Medium (5)||Medium Soft (4)
Medium Firm (6)
|Weight (Queen)||69 lbs.||110 lbs. (11.5″)
120 lbs. (14.5″)
|Support Core Components||6″ HD Polyfoam||4″ 13-gauge Bonnell Coils (11.5″)
7″ 13-gauge Bonnell Coils (14.5″)
HD Polyfoam Coil Encasement
|Comfort Layer Components||2″ 2.5 PCF Gel-Infused Memory Foam
2″ Transitional Polyfoam
|Euro-Top Cover Sewn with Polyfoam and Fiber Padding|
.375″ Memory Foam
4″ Pocketed Transitional Minicoils
|Cover Composition||Polyester||Organic Cotton|
How Is the Puffy Mattress Built?
memory foam infused with cooling gel to help minimize heat buildup on the surface. The memory foam has a fairly low density. This allows the material to conform closely, but it also means the foam will probably wear out somewhat quickly – particularly for sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds. The bed’s 2-inch transitional layer is a bit denser. This ensures sleepers won’t sink too deeply into the mattress. Still, durability is below-average for the Puffy Mattress.
The support core consists of 6 inches of high-density polyfoam. This sturdy material provides decent overall stability. However, the Puffy Mattress has a plush medium feel and this can cause excessive sinkage along the edges. As a result, some sleepers may feel less comfortable lying near the perimeter and somewhat confined to the middle of the mattress. The entire mattress is encased in a soft polyester cover.
How Is the Saatva Built?
The Saatva’s construction depends largely on which firmness and thickness is selected. The mattress begins with a Euro-top layer sewn with polyfoam and fiber padding. The padding is thicker and plusher for the medium soft feel, and somewhat plush for the medium firm. The firm feel is thinner and feels more supportive. Regardless of firmness level, all Saatva beds include additional polyfoam and memory foam comfort layers over a transitional layer of pocketed minicoils. Despite these thick padding materials, the Saatva is very responsive. As a result, its pressure-relieving and motion-isolating abilities are fairly limited.
The support core contains bonnell (hourglass) coils made from recycled steel. The coils have a low gauge, meaning each one is somewhat thick, and the layer is encased in high-density polyfoam to reinforce the edges against sinkage. The 11.5-inch Saatva has 4-inch support coils, and the 14.5-inch Saatva has 7-inch coils – but both feel very springy.
Puffy Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 100 nights
Shipping Free to contiguous U.S.
Warranty Lifetime, non-prorated
Made In USA
Trial Period Details
Trial Period and Guarantee: Puffy offers a 101-night sleep trial for all mattresses.
- The sleep trial begins on the date of delivery.
- This sleep trial includes a mandatory break-in period of 14 nights. Customers may not return their mattress for a full refund until at least 14 nights have elapsed. Additionally, Puffy recommends sleeping on the mattress for at least 30 nights before returning it.
- Full refunds are issued for all returns within the 101-night period, minus shipping charges for Alaska and Hawaii.
- Puffy allows one sleep trial per household per year, and two trials maximum.
- In the event of a return, Puffy will help customers donate the mattress to a local charity.
Warranty: Puffy offers a lifetime warranty for the Puffy Mattress:
- This warranty is completely non-prorated. In the event that a defect develops at any point during its lifespan, Puffy will replace the mattress with a brand new model at no extra cost to the owner (including shipping and transportation fees).
- Warranty coverage is contingent on proper foundational support. The mattress ‘must be used on an appropriately sized and suitable bed frame or base.’ Using an improper support system may void the warranty. The warranty will be voided if the mattress is not used with a suitable support system and damage occurs as a result.
- Defects covered under warranty include sagging or body impressions in the sleep surface measuring 1.5 inches or deeper, physical flaws in the mattress that cause materials to split or crack, and manufacturing defects associated with the cover, such as zipper assembly or unraveling seams.
- The warranty will not cover sagging or body impressions measuring less than 1.5 inches deep. Other defects not covered include signs of physical abuse such as burns, cuts, and stains, or replacement requests that occur due to owner allergies or changes in their comfort preferences.
- In order to submit a warranty claim, owners must submit the order number, the owner’s full name, and both a written description and photograph of the defect in question.
- This warranty is exclusively reserved for original owners who purchase their mattress from Puffy or an authorized retailer. Anyone who buys or acquires their mattress from the original owner or a non-authorized retailer will not be eligible for warranty coverage.
Puffy’s delivery policy for Puffy Mattresses is as follows:
- Puffy ships to all 50 states. Customers in the contiguous U.S. qualify for free ground shipping, but those in Alaska and Hawaii must pay additional delivery charges.
- All deliveries are coordinated through FedEx. The mattress will ship within one to three business days of purchase, but shipping times vary by location.
- Puffy does not offer expedited shipping, White Glove delivery, or old mattress removal for any orders.
Saatva Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 365 nights
Shipping Free White Glove delivery to contiguous U.S.
Warranty Lifetime, non-prorated
Made in USA
Trial Period Details
Trial Period and Guarantee: Saatva offers a 365-night sleep trial for the Saatva mattress.
- This sleep trial does not require a break-in period of any kind; customers may return their mattress for a refund at any point of the 365-night trial.
- In the event of a return, customers will be issued a full refund minus a flat transportation fee of $99.
- Size, firmness, and thickness exchanges are also offered during the 120-night trial. Customers may exchange their bed for a flat shipping fee of $99.
Warranty: Saatva offers a lifetime warranty for the Saatva:
- The warranty is completely nonprorated. During the first two years, Saatva will replace a mattress at no extra charge if it is deemed defective. For the remaining warranty period, Saatva will repair and re-cover a Saatva mattress for a flat fee of $149.
- Saatva also offers the ‘Fairness Replacement Option’ in lieu of standard warranty coverage. Owners may purchase a new bed at a discounted rate, rather than having their current mattress repaired. Saatva does not charge a delivery fee and owners may keep their old mattress at no extra cost. The ‘Fairness Replacement Option’ follows a prorated schedule.
- The warranty is contingent on the use of a proper support system. The warranty will be voided if a Queen or King mattress is used with a metal bed frame that does not have a five- or six-legged support structure. The warranty will also be voided if a Twin or Full mattress is used with a metal bed frame that does not have four legs.
- The warranty covers sagging or indentations in the sleep surface that measure 1 inch or deeper.
- The warranty does not cover sagging or indentations that measure less than 1 inch deep. Additionally, the warranty will not cover physical damage to the mattress, including burns, cuts, or stains.
- Customers must notify Saatva in writing regarding any claims.
- The warranty is exclusively available for original owners that purchase their mattress from Saatva or an authorized retailer. Those who buy or acquire their mattress from the original owner or a non-authorized retailer will not be eligible for warranty coverage.
Saatva’s delivery policy for Saatva mattresses is as follows:
- Saatva does not charge a cancellation fee prior to the day of delivery.
- Saatva mattresses are made to order, and delivery times vary by location. Customers can input their zip code on Saatva’s delivery information page to see the expected wait time for their location.
- Customers will be given a four-hour window for the time of delivery on the predetermined day. An adult (18 years or older) must be on the premises at the time of delivery. Couriers will wait 20 minutes if the customer is running late to meet them, after which point the delivery can be rescheduled at no extra charge.
- If the wrong mattress is delivered, then the customer may arrange a new delivery time at no additional cost. In the meantime, they will be allowed to use the incorrect mattress; once the correct delivery has been made, the original mattress will be donated to charity.
- If couriers cannot fit the mattress into the customer’s bedroom due to stairs or other obstacles, they will reschedule delivery for a mattress with a smaller size. Customers won’t need to pay any extra fees apart from an additional $99 transportation fee.