- Bear Mattress
- T&N Original Mattress
Meet Our Testing Team
|SLEEP TRIAL||365 nights||100 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||Lifetime||10 Year, Non-prorated|
Bear Mattress Highlights
- Due to its mixed-foam design, the Bear Mattress is ideal for sleepers who prefer gentle contouring and light responsiveness
- The mattress is constructed using breathable foams and other materials that make it well-suited to those who normally sleep hot on all-foam beds.
- The Bear Mattress isolates motion very well and does not produce any noise, so it is a good choice for couples who awaken easily.
T&N Original Mattress Highlights…
- The T&N Original Mattress is constructed entirely from polyfoam, resulting in a comfortable balance of body-conforming and moderate responsiveness.
- Like the Bear Mattress, the T&N Original Mattress offers great motion isolation and is virtually silent when bearing weight.
- Thanks to a low price-point and strong performance in several areas, this mattress offers great long-term value for owners.
Sleep Position Ratings
Like other mattresses with memory foam and polyfoam layers, the Bear Mattress conforms to the body while also maintaining a somewhat responsive feel. The mattress is considered firm, so people who weigh less than 130 are likely to feel more pushback than heavier individuals – possibly to an uncomfortable degree. For this reason, we generally recommend the Bear Mattress to people who weigh more than 130 pounds.
The memory foam padding makes the Bear Mattress a good option for side sleepers over 130 pounds. By cushioning the shoulders and hips without sinking too much, the mattress promotes even alignment and good overall pressure relief. Back sleepers should also feel reasonably comfortable on the mattress, which offers sufficient support for the torso and waist. Stomach sleepers may experience more sinkage due to their position, but most should find the bed supportive enough.
T&N Original Mattress
Polyfoam feels a bit more responsive than memory foam, so the T&N Original Mattress offers a light bounce on the surface. The comfort layer is made from adaptive foam that offers an even body contour, but excessive sinkage shouldn’t be an issue for most sleepers weighing up to 230 pounds. However, people who weigh more than 230 pounds – particularly side sleepers – may experience too much sinkage.
Since the T&N Original Mattress is slightly softer than the Bear Mattress, it may be more comfortable for individuals weighing between 130 and 230 pounds, but possibly too firm for those who weigh less than 130 pounds. The comfort layer conforms closely enough to align the spine and reduce pressure for side sleepers, but the mattress feels sufficiently firm and supportive for back and stomach sleepers in these weight groups.
- Bear Original
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
Choose the Bear Mattress if...
- Your ideal mattress offers a balance of body-conforming and support
- You normally find foam mattresses too hot
- You weigh more than 130 pounds
- You are an active person and/or you have a physically demanding job
Choose the T&N Original Mattress if...
- Your ideal mattress conforms a bit, but also feels fairly supportive and responsive
- You don’t normally sleep hot
- You sleep on your side or back
- Your sleep is easily disrupted by movements or noise
Technical Details Comparison
Prices for the Bear Mattress and T&N Original Mattress in each available size are listed below. Neither mattress is available in any additional sizes.
- Twin $645 (T&N) $748 (Bear)
- Twin XL $695 (T&N) $811 (Bear)
- Full $795 (T&N) $873 (Bear)
- Queen $895 (T&N) $998 (Bear)
- King $1,095 (T&N) $1,248 (Bear)
- Cal King $1,095 (T&N) $1,248 (Bear)
The Bear Mattress and T&N Original Mattress are both all-foam models measuring 10 inches thick, but these beds are constructed from different materials and offer a distinct surface feel for sleepers. The table below lists full construction specs for both mattresses.
|Specification||Bear Mattress||T&N Original Mattress|
|Firmness Level||Firm (7)||Medium Firm (6.5)|
|Weight (Queen)||70 lbs.||72 lbs.|
|Support Core Components||6″ HD Polyfoam||7″ HD Polyfoam|
|Comfort Layer Components||2″ Memory Foam Infused with Graphite Gel
2″ Transitional Polyfoam
|3″ Polyfoam Infused with Graphite Gel|
|Cover Composition||Polyester and Celliant Fabric Blend||Polyester and Micro-polyamide Blend|
How Is the Bear Mattress Built?
The Bear Mattress begins with a 2-inch comfort layer of memory foam. The surface has a firm feel, and the memory foam contours rather closely to the body to align the spine for side sleepers and alleviate pressure for all sleep positions. The memory foam is infused with graphite gel to help the mattress sleep cool. Transitional and support layers of high-density polyfoam promote good overall stability and prevent sleepers from sinking too deeply beneath the surface.
The entire mattress is encased in a cover made with Celliant fabric, a material intended to absorb body heat, convert it into infrared energy, and transmit the energy back into the sleeper through their skin to stimulate blood flow, regulate body temperature, and aid with muscle recovery. As a result, the Bear Mattress may be a good option for athletes and other active individuals, as well as anyone whose job is physically demanding.
How Is the T&N Original Mattress Built?
The T&N Original Mattress features a 3-inch comfort layer of open-cell adaptive polyfoam. The material does not offer the deep body cradle of memory foam, but it contours to a noticeable extent and can reduce pain and pressure points for people weighing up to 230 pounds. The bed also contains a 7-inch support core made from high-density polyfoam to reinforce the mattress and keep sleepers on an even plane.
Although the T&N Original Mattress lacks a Celliant fabric cover, it still sleeps fairly cool. The comfort layer polyfoam is fairly breathable thanks to its open-cell composition, and the material is infused with graphite gel for added temperature control. The Bear Mattress might be a more comfortable choice for hot sleepers, but the T&N Original Mattress still offers above-average cooling for an all-foam bed.
Bear Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 120 nights
Shipping Free to contiguous U.S. and Canada
Made In USA
Trial Period Details
Bear offers a 120-night sleep trial on all mattresses.
- This sleep trial includes a mandatory break-in period of 30 nights. Customers must test out the mattress for at least 30 nights before they can return it for a full refund. The sleep trial begins on the delivery date.
- Those who opt to return the mattress after 30 days will receive a complete refund, and will not be required to pay mattress removal and transportation fees. Free mattress pickup services will also be provided.
- Bear allows no more than one mattress return per customer, household, or address.
Bear offers a lifetime warranty for the Bear Mattress.
- Warranty coverage for the Bear Mattress begins on the date of original purchase.
- Bear will cover all repair or replacement costs if defects are found. This includes associated shipping and transportation expenses.
- The mattress warranty covers sagging or indentations in the sleep surface measuring 1.5 inches or deeper, as well as manufacturing flaws that cause foams and other materials to deteriorate prematurely.
- The warranty will not cover sagging or indentations that measure less than 1.5 inches deep. Additionally, Bear will not repair or replace the mattress due to changes in the owner’s comfort preferences, nor does the warranty cover physical damage such as burns, cuts, or stains.
- The warranty is exclusively offered to the original purchaser, and an original receipt or proof of purchase will be required to file any warranty claims.
The delivery policy for Bear mattresses is as follows:
- Standard ground shipping is free for all customers in the contiguous U.S. and Canada. Extra fees are applied to those in Alaska and Hawaii.
- Standard Bear Mattress deliveries are provided through FedEx. Once the mattress has shipped from the company’s warehouse, customers should coordinate all delivery details with FedEx.
- Mattresses will usually ship from the company’s warehouse within two to four business days of the original purchase, and reach the customer’s address within four to seven business days.
- FedEx will deliver the mattress directly to the customer’s doorstep; an adult signature will not be required, and adults do not need to be present at the address during the delivery.
- In addition to standard shipping, Bear offers White Glove delivery for an additional fee of $150. This fee includes in-home mattress assembly and old mattress removal.
- Bear does not ship mattresses to army/air post offices (APOs).
Tuft & Needle Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 100 nights
Shipping Free to contiguous U.S.
Warranty 10 years non-prorated
Made in USA
Trial Period Details
Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night sleep trial:
- This sleep trial does not require any sort of break-in period. Customers may return their mattress for a full refund at any point of the 100-night trial.
- Mattress exchanges are allowed during the 100-night trial; customers pay the difference for upgrades or receive refunds for downgrades. Exchanging the mattress will void the original sleep trial, and the replacement bed will not qualify for the 100-night trial or free returns.
- A full product refund will be issued for all returns. Tuft & Needle encourages customers to recycle or donate their unwanted mattress; if this is not feasible, the brand will arrange for the mattress to be picked up from the customer’s residence and cover all associated costs.
- If the mattress is purchased through Crate & Barrel or Huckberry, customers must coordinate their return with Tuft & Needle. If the mattress is purchased through Amazon.com or Lowe’s, customers must contact the seller about returning the mattress.
- One return per household is allotted per year.
Tuft & Needle offers a 10-year warranty for the T&N Mattress:
- This warranty is completely non-prorated.
- Tuft & Needle will, at its sole option, replace or repair any mattress with defects for as long as the warranty is valid. In the event of a replacement, the warranty will not be extended or reissued.
- Warranty coverage is contingent on proper foundational support. Per Tuft & Needle: “Tuft & Needle mattresses are designed to work on a firm, solid surface that is structurally capable of supporting the weight of the mattress and user upon it, such as on a bed base (e.g., a frame or platform). This Warranty does not cover your Product if you use it in a manner incompatible with that intended design and use.”
- The warranty covers sagging and indentations in the sleep surface measuring three-quarters of an inch or deeper. Other covered defects include physical flaws in the mattress assembly that lead to early foam deterioration, and cover defects such as fabric tears or unraveling seams.
- The warranty does not cover sagging or indentations that measure less than three-quarters of an inch. Additionally, the warranty does not cover physical damage such as burns, cuts, tears, and stains.
- This warranty is non-transferable. It is exclusively available to original owners that purchase their mattress from Tuft & Needle or an authorized retailer. Those who buy or acquire their mattress from the original owner or a non-authorized retailer do not qualify for warranty coverage.
The delivery policy for Tuft & Needle is as follows:
- All Tuft & Needle deliveries are coordinated through FedEx Ground. Mattresses typically ship within one to five business days of the original order, and most customers receive their mattress within two to four business days after the mattress ships.
- Canadian customers can purchase the mattress on Amazon.com, but Tuft & Needle does not offer international deliveries.
- Standard shipping is free of charge within the contiguous U.S. Delivery rates vary for customers in Alaska and Hawaii, but most pay between $150 and $200. Expected wait times for deliveries to Alaska and Hawaii are roughly seven to 10 business days.
- In addition to standard delivery, same-day delivery is offered for $50 per mattress to customers in certain zip codes of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Phoenix, San Francisco, and Seattle. These deliveries normally take place between 4pm and 9:30pm. Orders must be placed by 3:45pm to qualify.
- White Glove delivery is available within the contiguous U.S., as well. This delivery option incurs a flat fee of $150 for all customers, and includes in-home assembly and old mattress removal.