Boppy has been beloved by parents for nearly thirty years. In 1989, a mom and inventor in Evergreen, Colorado named Susan Brown created a C-shaped pillow to help prop infants in daycare when they weren’t being held. The Original Boppy was born and with it, a brand with a devoted following.
The Original Boppy eventually evolved to serve as a nursing pillow first and infant support pillow second. In fact, Boppy is synonymous with nursing pillow for many parents. But Boppy is about more than nursing pillows these days. Over the years, the company has developed a range of products for babies and moms, including:
- Nursing and infant support pillows
- Nursing covers
- Newborn loungers
- Baby carriers
- Pregnancy pillows
- Teething scarves
Boppy is committed to using quality materials and sourcing in a socially responsible manner. All of Boppy’s products are free of BPA, phthalates, latex and lead.
In addition to creating popular baby products, Boppy is committed to living up to its mission of providing “Support for all Momkind” through work in three areas:
- Educate: For years, Boppy has partnered with First Candle, a non-profit focused on education, advocacy and research related to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), to provide safe sleep education to parents and caregivers.
- Empower: To further the company’s commitment to helping moms successfully breastfeed, Boppy has developed a line of nursing pillows specifically designed for use in hospitals.
- Support: Boppy has a long-time partnership with USO to provide in-kind donations to military families.
In this review, we’ll focus on Boppy’s core product, the nursing pillow, and explore the company’s four offerings in this category.
What You Need to Know About Boppy Nursing Pillows
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Boppy nursing pillows, including how they work, how they’re constructed, cleaning, shipping policies and warranty and return information.
How They Work
Boppy nursing pillows come in two main designs and are used slightly differently. The Classic design—which includes Boppy Bare Naked, Boppy Classic Feeding & Support Pillow and Boppy Luxe Feeding and Support Pillow—is the original, well-known C-shaped pillow. These can be used as nursing or bottle-feeding pillows, to prop infants or to aid with tummy time. The newer Boppy Best Latch Breastfeeding Pillow is just designed for breast and bottle feeding.
The Classic and Best Latch pillows can be used similarly but with a few differences. The pillow fits around your waist and rests on your lap. You can either prop your baby directly on the pillow to breast or bottle feed, or you can cradle your baby and rest your arms on the pillow. The idea behind a nursing pillow is that it allows you to prop your baby at the correct height to nurse comfortably and avoid hunching over or straining your arms to hold your baby. The Best Latch differs slightly from the Classic design in that it offers a firm and a soft side, depending on your preferences, and also includes a belt to secure the pillow around you.
The Classic pillows are highly versatile and can be used to prop and cradle your baby in a variety of ways. Many parents lay their infants so their backs rest against the pillow. This can be a great alternative to laying your baby on his or her back during playtime because the prop provides a different perspective. Just remember to always be present when your baby is lounging on the pillow. Pillows also grow with your baby. They can be used to provide support as your baby learns to sit up and make tummy time much more comfortable.
All Boppy pillows follow similar construction, though the Classic and Best Latch designs are slightly different. The main components include:
- Pillow: All four Boppy nursing pillows start with a curved pillow filled with virgin polyester fiberfill and encased in fabric that’s 90 percent polyester and 10 percent cotton. The Best Latch pillow also includes a firm foam insert on one side to make it firm and flat and easier to use with newborns. The Classic design is C-shaped while the Best Latch is wider and less curved.
- Slipcover: The Boppy Bare Naked includes just the pillow, but the other three pillows come with zippered, removable slipcovers. The Boppy Classic has a soft cover made from a cotton polyester blend, while the Boppy Luxe slipcover is made from a super-soft, minky fabric. Additional covers can be purchased separately, including those made from organic cotton or water-resistant material. It can be great to have a few extra slipcovers on hand in case one is in the wash. The Best Latch cover is not removable and has a cotton/poly side and a soft, minky side.
- Belt: The Best Latch pillow comes with a belt that wraps around your waist and buckles in the back so you don’t have to worry about the pillow shifting while you nurse.
Boppy pillows are relatively easy to clean, which is one of the reasons they’re popular with parents. After all, milk spills and spit up are daily occurrences with most new babies. Washing instructions differ slightly for Boppy’s various pillows and are outlined below.
Boppy Bare Naked, Boppy Classic Feeding, Boppy Luxe Feeding Pillow
- Always remove slipcover if you have one, and wash it separately from the pillow
- If using a front load washing machine, wash your pillow on the handwash cycle. If using a top loader, use the delicate cycle and wash on cold (30?/85?).
- Dry pillow on low with a tennis ball to keep fill from clumping.
- Do not iron or dry clean.
Boppy Bare Naked, Boppy Classic Feeding, Boppy Luxe Feeding Slipcover
- Machine wash separately on cold (30?/85?) with mild detergent.
- Tumble dry low on delicate cycle.
- Cool iron if needed.
- Do not dry clean.
Boppy Best Latch Pillow
- Remove foam insert and belt. Foam insert can be hand washed with mild soap and laid flat to dry.
- Machine wash pillow separately, cold and on the delicate cycle.
- Tumble dry low with a tennis ball to distribute fill.
- Do not iron or dry clean.
Additional slipcovers for the Classic design pillows can be purchased separately. It can be great to have an extra or two on hand to use while one is in the wash.
Shipping & Delivery
Boppy ships its products to all 50 states, but they don’t ship to APO, FPO or PO boxes. To find Boppy internationally, check out the several retailers that carry their products.
Shipping price is dependent on the dimensions and weight of your order, but orders over 49 dollars ship free. All orders are shipped via UPS ground, so they typically arrive within five to eight business days. You’ll be provided with a tracking number to track your product.
All of Boppy’s health care products are sold through medical distributors. If you work in a hospital and area interested in these products, check out their list of distributors.
Return Policy and Warranty
Boppy offers a 30-day return window and accepts returns on non-sale items that are unused and unopened. Simply follow the instructions for packing your product for return and fill out the attached return form. Please note that shipping charges are not refundable and that Boppy doesn’t accept returns from other retailers. Gifts that are unused and unopened are eligible to be exchanged for like items at a similar price.
Boppy’s warranty is covered in its Boppy Guarantee policy. The Boppy Guarantee promises that products will be free of defects for up to a year. If you find a defect on your product after 30 days but before a year, Boppy will repair or replace it at no cost. Simply send an image of the defect to [email protected] and be prepared to send the item back if requested. Note that the Boppy Guarantee doesn’t cover product damage that results from misuse or not following instructions.