Considerations for Side Sleepers
Side sleepers generally feel most comfortable on mattresses that feature the following:
- Low to Medium Firmness: Side sleepers require enhanced neck and back support for proper spinal alignment. Mattresses that are ‘Medium Firm’ or lower tend to be suitable for most sleepers, whereas mattresses that are too firm do not offer adequate neck and back support.
- Pressure Relief: Side sleeping creates pressure points in areas along the spine, including the neck, shoulders, lower back, and hips. Mattresses that contour closely and align the spine will help alleviate these pressure points.
- Mattress Thickness: Thickness is often tied to firmness, since thicker mattresses tend to have more padding layers and, as a result, are less firm than relatively thin mattresses.
- Pelvic Rotation: Some side sleeping positions can lead to unnatural twisting at the midsection, which results in misalignment between the upper and lower body. This is known as pelvic rotation, and it can lead to unwanted pain and pressure. Some side sleepers remedy pelvic rotation by placing a pillow between their knees or maintaining sleep positions that limit nighttime shifting (such as the ‘log’ position). However, mattresses that offer adequate support and firmness will also minimize the risk of pelvic rotation.
- Sleeper Weight: People with below-average weights (130 pounds or less) may not weigh enough to experience contouring on exceptionally firm mattresses. Likewise, those with above-average weights (230 pounds or more) may be too heavy for exceptionally soft mattresses; this often results in added pressure and discomfort.
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Construction
Tempur-Pedic does not disclose detailed specifications about any of their mattresses, but their current models share the following basic structure:
- Memory Foam Comfort Layer: Each Tempur-Pedic model varies in terms of foam thickness and density, but all have at least one layer of memory foam in the comfort system.
- Varying Support Core: Cloud and Contour mattresses have solid, high-density polyfoam support cores. The Flex Supreme Breeze, a hybrid, has a support core with pocketed coils encased in foam. All three models in the Adapt series are available as all-foam beds with high-density polyfoam cores; the ProAdapt and Adapt are also sold as hybrids, which have foam-encased pocketed coils instead.
- Varying Cover Composition: Mattresses in the Adapt series have cooling covers. All other Tempur-Pedic mattresses have polyester covers.
Tempur-Pedic Mattresses: Current Models
Other Tempur-Pedic Products
Tempur-Pedic is most famous for its mattresses, but the company manufactures many other sleep accessories. If you’re thinking of choosing new pillows or a mattress topper that will work great with your new mattress, you may be interested in reading more about these products.
Like all pillows, Tempur-Pedic’s line of pillows comes in a range of price points with varying lofts. Choose the loft, shape, and softness which will work best for your sleep style.
In addition to their standard pillows, Tempur-Pedic offers specialty pillows to provide comfort to everyone from pregnant women to travelers.
For sleepers who are interested in adding to their Tempur-Pedic mattress’ comfort, or those who aren’t in the market for a new mattress but want to try out the company’s offerings, the Tempur-Topper Supreme is an excellent choice for a mattress topper.
Three inches of breathable TEMPUR memory foam offer sleepers motion cancellation, soft but stable support, and pressure point relief. The topper comes in a removable, washable, dust mite and allergen-resistant cover, so it’s easy to keep clean and contributes to the overall cleanliness of your bedding. Finally, the $399 price point (for a queen) is competitive both with a new mattress and other toppers on the market.
Individual experience will vary significantly from sleeper to sleeper — and testing out mattresses in person may be the best way to determine which model is best for you and your partner. Please check out our Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review page to learn more about individual models, as well as the brand’s shipping and delivery policies, sleep trial, and warranty terms. To compare Tempur-Pedic with other memory foam mattress brands in terms of price, performance, and other criteria, please visit our Mattress Reviews section.
Do you prefer to sleep on your back? Check out our guide for the Best Tempur-Pedic Mattresses for Back Sleepers.