Amazon.com is a staple for millions of people worldwide. Originally founded as Cadabra, a website dedicated to selling books, the Seattle-based retailer has grown into an industry behemoth in recent years. Roughly 130 million people in the U.S. alone visit Amazon.com each month, and the site has additional domains based in 13 other countries.
Amazon.com offers millions of different products, including mattresses from hundreds of individual brands. Shopping for a new mattress on Amazon.com can be a speedy, cost-effective experience — but buyers should note that certain perks and services offered through original manufacturers may not be available to Amazon customers.
This guide will cover the purchasing process for mattress shoppers on Amazon.com, provide a few tips for saving time and money on the site, and share our top picks for mattress models that are currently sold on Amazon.com.
On the Amazon.com website, you’ll find 25 departments to different types of products. All mattresses are sold in the ‘Furniture’ division of the ‘Home& Kitchen’ department.
Each individual mattress sold on the site has a dedicated product page that contains extensive information about the item in question. This page typically contains the following (listed how they appear on the page from top to bottom):
- The brand and product’s full name. For mattresses, the title may include additional information such as the material composition and/or warranty length.
- The seller’s name. This will usually be the mattress brand or retailer. Check to ensure it is not a private seller (see next section for more information).
- Product photos. Many products have multiple photos, which can be accessed using a carousel in the top left corner of the product page.
- Customer rating summary. Each score is valued between 1 and 5 points in one-point increments, and an overall rating indicates the average customer score. A total number of reviews is also included.
- Availability status. This is found directly beneath the price. Products marked as ‘in-stock’ are not in danger of running out; in some cases, the number of remaining available products will be listed. Products that are not in stock are marked as ‘Currently unavailable.’
- Shipping timetable. This indicates when customers should expect to receive their mattress, as well as available shipping options (such as one-day or two-day shipping).
- Sizes. Multiple sizes are usually available on product pages for mattresses sold by original manufacturers. Click the different sizes to see price differences, and note that larger sizes do not necessarily mean higher prices (more on this in the next section).
- Product specifications. These usually include materials, dimensions, firmness, and other product details, as well as sleep trial and warranty information in some cases.
- ‘Frequently Bought Together.’ This section includes similar products (typically pillows, toppers, and other bedding accessories) that customers tend to buy along with that specific mattress.
- Related products. This carousel section includes other mattresses with similar specs and price-points as the mattress listed on the product page.
- Special offers and promotions. Check this section to see if you qualify for any bundles, package deals, or other promotions by purchasing that particular mattress.
- Brand copy and product description. Often, this detailed product description is supplied by the manufacturer and mirrors the exact copy found on the brand’s website. This includes more detailed specifications, as well as photos and additional product information not found above.
- Product information. Located in a small box on the left-hand side of the page, this includes the following:
- Product dimensions
- Item weight
- Shipping weight
- Manufacturer’s name:
- Amazon.com and manufacturer product numbers
- Domestic and international shipping information
- Customer rating and review summary
- Rankings within the department (as well as on the entire site)
- Warranty and support. This often includes a copy of the product warranty, and may also include technical manuals and how-to assembly guides.
- Customer questions and answers. This FAQ section lists all questions customers have asked about this particular product, as well as answers to each individual query.
- Customer reviews. This final section is where all customer reviews are located. It also features a detailed breakdown of the customer ratings, including the exact number of reviews for each corresponding numerical value (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5).
As the previous section indicates, mattress product pages on Amazon.com can be fairly overwhelming — especially for first-time site visitors. Here are a few important tips for shopping for a new mattress on Amazon.com and comparing different brands and models:
Make sure you’re buying from the brand, not a private seller. Many mattresses sold on Amazon.com list the brand’s name but are actually sold through private vendors, rather than the original manufacturer. This can be problematic because the mattress may be used and/or in poor condition, and customers will not be eligible for warranty coverage.
Thankfully, it’s fairly easy to distinguish a brand’s product page from a private seller’s. The first indicator should be name listed next to ‘Sold by,’ which is usually found below the price and/or in the box in the top right-hand corner where you add the product to your cart.
The are other red flags, as well. The brand’s page will have full marketing copy, and also list warranty information (as well as details about the sleep trial if one is available); private seller pages often do not include any of these features. Additionally, keep an eye out for a link that says ‘Available from these sellers’; this indicates that multiple private vendors are selling the mattress.
Check the sleep trial and warranty offers. In some cases, shoppers on Amazon.com will not be entitled to the same sleep trial as customers who purchase directly from the mattress brand. Amazon’s standard sleep trial is 30 nights, which is significantly lower than the trials offered by most (usually 90 nights or longer). If the sleep trial is important to you, then you may want to consider purchasing the mattress directly from the brand. By the same token, purchasing a mattress from Amazon.com will be more advantageous if the original manufacturer does not offer a sleep trial.
Most mattresses sold on Amazon.com offer the same warranty coverage as the same models sold directly through the brand — but again, this is not always the case. Use the brand’s product page to cross-reference sleep trial and warranty details to ensure you’re getting the same offer as those who buy from the brand.
Take the question/answer section with a grain of salt. The Q&A area of the product page can be very helpful because, in most cases, the questions pertain to issues that are not covered elsewhere. However, it’s important to note that most of the answers are provided by other site visitors and shoppers, not brand employees or Amazon customer service personnel — and as such, may not be entirely accurate.
Double-check the size before checking out. This may seem like a no-brainer, but most mattress product pages on Amazon.com default to the Queen size. Selecting another size will adjust the price, as well as other product details, and enable you to purchase that specific size.
It’s important to note that occasionally the pricing structure will not match that of the original brand — and larger sizes will cost less than smaller ones. If this is the case, be sure to select each size and note the prices. You may end up paying a smaller price for a larger mattress.
Consider Amazon Prime for faster shipping. Amazon Prime includes free two-day shipping for all subscribers, which can be considerably shorter than standard shipping times for mattress orders. Mattresses that are eligible for free two-day shipping through Amazon Prime will feature a Prime icon between the price and availability status. Amazon Prime memberships include other benefits, such as streaming access to music and videos.
If you don’t want to purchase an Amazon Prime membership but would still like expedited delivery, you can review one- and two-day shipping options during checkout.
To purchase a mattress on Amazon.com, simply follow this step-by-step process:
- Select the mattress size you’d like.
- Locate the small box found in the top right-hand corner of the page. Click ‘Add to Cart’ if you plan to do more shopping; simply click the shopping cart icon near the top of the page when you’re finished. Alternatively, you can click ‘Buy Now’ to proceed directly to checkout.
- Sign in to your Amazon.com account by typing in the password. If you do not have an account, you can create one by entering a valid email address and password; Amazon.com will email you a link to activate the account.
- Enter the delivery address. This includes the street address, contact phone number, and delivery details (such as access codes). Returning customers who have their address stored on the account can click ‘Deliver to this address’ without inputting any information, but this is not required for account holders.
- Enter your payment information. This includes your credit card number, expiration date, security code, and billing address. Returning customers who have stored their card information on the account can select the correct card, but this is not required.
- In many cases, customers will be directed to a page that allows them to sign up for Amazon Prime, a subscription service that includes two-day shipping and other perks for shoppers (see next section). As of January 2019, the membership fee for Amazon Prime is $12.99 per month.
- The final page includes an order summary, as well as shipping options. Standard shipping is usually free, and expedited shipping is normally prorated based on the item’s shipping weight.
- After selecting the shipping method and confirming the order summary is correct, select ‘Place Order’ on the right-hand side of the page. The order will immediately be placed, and your credit card will be charged.
- You will receive a confirmation email right away. A second email will arrive once the item ships; this should include a tracking number and expected delivery date. Orders can also be tracked on Amazon.com.
If there are any issues regarding the purchase or delivery, you should contact Amazon’s customer service department using this online form.