Tulo vs Casper Mattress Overview
Sold both online and at Mattress Firm stores, Tulo Comfort Series all-foam mattresses have three comfort layers, including a top layer of standard memory foam atop a support core made from high-density polyfoam.
The 10-inch thick mattresses are available in three firmness settings: ‘Medium Soft’ (4), ‘Medium’ (5.5), and ‘Firm (7). This ensures Tulo can accommodate a wide range of sleep position preferences and sleeper body weights, providing adequate support and conforming to relieve pressure.
Like most all foam mattresses, they do sleep fairly hot, but with a lower than average price point, a 100-night sleep trial, 10 year warranty, and complimentary White Glove delivery within the contiguous U.S., Tulo mattresses are a good value for many consumers. Note that the company also offers the Tulo Liv, a 9-inch mattress with a medium (5.5) feel and additional comfort layers. This review only refers to the Comfort Series.
Casper is well-known in the mattress market, having sold memory foam mattresses online ince 2014. Although Casper now offers several different mattress options, including the Casper Hybrid and Wave models, this review focuses on the brand’s flagship model, the Casper Original.
A mixed-foam mattress, the Casper has a high-density polyfoam support core topped with comfort layers of polyfoam and memory foam. The result is a 12-inch thick mattress with a medium firmness (5).
Our reviewers note that the Casper balances support and conforming for a comfortable bed that offers better-than-average pressure relief. Best for individuals of average or lightweight body size (larger individuals may find that it lacks support), the Casper sleeps slightly cooler than other memory foam mattresses, making it a good choice for those who sleep hot.
The following review compares the Tulo Comfort Series and Casper Original in terms of construction, comfort, company policies and more to help you select the best mattress for a great night’s sleep.
Tulo Comfort Series
|FIRMNESS||4, 5.5, 7||5.5|
|AVAILABILITY||online, in-store||online, in-store|
|SLEEP TRIAL||120 nights||100 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||10 Year, Limited||10 Year, Limited|
The Tulo Mattress ...
- Can be purchased online and at brick-and-mortar Mattress Firm stores.
- Offered in three firmness levels.
- Lower than average price point.
The Casper Mattress...
- Provides good conforming and pressure relief for lightweight and average sleepers.
- Sleeps cooler than comparable memory foam mattresses.
- Offers a more supportive feel than other memory foam mattresses.
Sleep Position Ratings
Tulo offers the Comfort Series in three firmness options, so there is a model for almost every body type and preferred sleeping position. Back sleepers in particular tend to find the Tulo comfortable, but the mattress also provides a good amount of conforming and pressure relief for side sleepers. People who tend to have aches and pains in their neck and back in particular appreciate the Tulo’s targeted pressure relief.
Although lightweight and average size individuals, especially side sleepers, will find any of the firmness options comfortable, for larger individuals (those over 200 pounds) the “Firm” Tulo mattress is likely to be the best option.
The Tulo is also a good choice for anyone who sleeps with a partner, and wants to limit motion transfer and noise. Our testers found that the mattress is virtually silent. However, it doesn’t offer a great deal of edge support, and some sleepers reported feeling like they may roll off the bed while sleeping.
With a more supportive feeling than other memory foam mattresses, thanks to the extra layer of polyfoam over the memory foam layer, the Casper offers plenty of body-conforming pressure relief and support for lightweight and average sleepers. Heavier individuals, though, may find that the Casper’s medium firmness isn’t supportive enough. Our heavier reviewers reported feeling a bit more sagging in the upper body, which can cause pain and discomfort. The lack of adequate support also prevents proper spinal alignment, causing back pain.
In comparison to other all memory foam mattresses, the Casper does sleep somewhat cooler. The mattress is also good for people who sleep with a partner, as it isolates motion transfer and is virtually silent when bearing weight.
- Tulo Comfort Series
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
Choose the Tulo if...
- You want to try the mattress before you buy at a Mattress Firm location.
- You want to choose between several firmness options.
- You are on a tight budget.
- You sleep on your back, regardless of body weight.
Choose the Casper if...
- You are lightweight or average size and want a conforming mattress.
- You sleep with a partner and are concerned about motion and noise.
- You sleep hot and want a memory foam mattress that sleeps slightly cooler than other models.
- You want a memory foam mattress that provides above average support for light to average weight sleepers.
Technical Details Comparison
Sizing and Pricing
Both the Tulo and the Casper are relatively affordable memory foam mattresses, and both manufacturers offer frequent discounts and coupons to make them even more affordable. Below find a table with the most recent, non-discounted prices for each model from twin to California king. Note that the Tulo’s prices apply to all firmness options in each size.
- Twin $499 Tulo $595 Casper
- Twin XL $599 Tulo $695 Caspera
- Full $649 Tulo $995 Casper
- Queen $699 Tulo $1095 Casper
- King $899 Tulo $1295 Casper
- Cali King $899 Tulo $1295 Casper
- Split King $1489 Purple
Next let’s look at how the Tulo and Casper Mattress models are made. The table below lists firmness, thickness, weight, and composition specs for both beds.
|Specification||Tulo Mattress||Casper Mattress|
|Firmness||Medium Soft (4)
|Weight (Queen)||71 lbs.||85 lbs.|
|Support Core Components||5″ HD Polyfoam||7.5″ 1.8 PCF HD Polyfoam|
|Comfort Layer Components||2″ Memory Foam
1 1/2″ HR Foam
1 1/2″ HD Foam
1.5″ 4 PCF Memory Foam
1.5″ 3.5 PCF Polyfoam
|Cover Composition||Knit blend||Top is 100% polyester; bottom and sides are polyester-spandex blend.|
How Is the Tulo Built?
The Tulo is a 10-inch thick mattress available in three firmness ratings: Soft (4), Medium Soft (5) and Firm (7). Each of the mattresses is constructed the same way: A 2-inch layer of cooling memory foam, a 1.5 inch layer of polyfoam, and a 1.5 inch layer of high-density polyfoam over a 5-inch high-density poly foam layer.
What makes each firmness option different is the foam used in the support layer. Depending on which option you select, the support core has a soft, medium, or firm layer of foam. The Tulo mattress cover is made from a soft, knit fabric.
How Is the Casper Mattress Built?
The Casper is a 12-inch thick mattress with a firmness rating of 5, or medium. It’s constructed with two comfort layers: a 1.5 inch layer of responsive polyfoam, and a 1.5 inch layer of low-to-medium density memory foam. Each of these layers is fairly soft and bouncier than other types of foam.
To prevent sleepers from sinking all the way through these soft layers to the support core, the Casper also has a 1.5-inch layer of transitional polyfoam. Finally, the Casper’s support core is a 7.5-inch layer of high-density polyfoam. The entire mattress is covered with a removable cover made from 100 percent polyester (top) and a stretchy polyester-spandex blend (sides and bottom).
Tulo Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 120 nights
Shipping Free White Glove delivery within Contiguous U.S.
Warranty 10-year non-prorated
Made In USA
Trial Period Details
Mattress Firm offers a 120-night sleep trial with all Tulo mattress purchases:
- There is no mandatory break-in period associated with this sleep trial, but Tulo recommends testing out the mattress for at least 30 nights.
- All customers who return their mattress will receive a complete refund, and Tulo will cover all shipping and handling costs associated with the return.
- Exchanges are available in addition to mattress returns.
Mattress Firm offers a 10-year limited warranty with all Tulo mattress purchases.
- Warranty coverage begins on the original date of purchase. Mattress Firm will, at its sole discretion, repair or replace all defective mattresses for as long as the warranty is valid.
- This warranty is entirely non prorated. Customers are responsible for shipping and handling expenses, but will not incur additional charges for having a defective mattress repaired or replaced.
- Warranty coverage is contingent on proper foundational support. According to Mattress Firm, a Tulo mattress must be ‘continuously supported by a proper foundation sufficient to support the distributed weight of your body and the mattress itself.’
- In the event of a mattress replacement, Mattress Firm will substitute the original model with ‘the model, version, color, or style available at the time of replacement, which may be different in certain respects than the original.’ If the owner wishes to upgrade their mattress, they are required to pay the difference between the original and the more expensive replacement model.
- Repaired or replaced mattresses will not constitute the creation of a new warranty, nor will they extend the length of the original warranty.
- The warranty will cover the following product defects:
- Visible sagging or indentations in the sleep surface that measure three-quarters of an inch or deeper that do not result from misuse or improper support.
- Physical flaws in the mattress that cause the foam to split or crack under normal circumstances.
- Manufacturing flaws in the mattress cover, such as fabric tears or unraveling stitches.
- The warranty will not cover the following:
- Sagging or indentations that do not measure three-quarters of an inch (3/4?) or deeper. This is considered normal wear and tear.
- Changes to the mattress caused by ‘uses that go beyond ordinary, intended maintenance and uses’ of the mattress, such as ‘reclining and sleeping.’
- This warranty is exclusively offered to original owners who purchase their Tulo mattress from Mattress Firm or an authorized retailer. Anyone who buys or acquires the mattress from the original owner or a non-authorized retailer will not qualify for warranty coverage.
Tulo mattresses are compressed, vacuum sealed, and boxed for shipping. They ship to all 50 states. White Glove delivery – including in-home assembly and old mattress removal – is provided free-of-charge to customers in the contiguous U.S. This service is not available for orders to Alaska or Hawaii.The delivery policy for Tulo is as follows:
- Tulo utilizes FedEx for all deliveries. Mattress deliveries to the contiguous 48 states generally require three to five business days, while deliveries to Alaska and Hawaii require seven to 14 business days.
- All deliveries in the contiguous 48 states include in-home mattress assembly, packaging waste disposal and old mattress removal at no additional charge. Deliveries to Alaska and Hawaii do not include these services; these are doorstep deliveries.
- Customers who wish to change the date and time of their delivery may contact Tulo via phone or email.
Tulo Coupons and Discounts
Casper Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 100 nights
Shipping Free to contiguous U.S. and Canada
Warranty 10 years, non-prorated
Made In USA
Casper offers a 100-night sleep trial for all five Casper mattress models.
- This trial does not require a break-in period of any kind. Owners may elect to return the mattress and receive a full refund, including shipping fees, at any point during the sleep trial.
- Casper will arrange for couriers to come pick up the mattress from the owner’s home, at which time it will either be recycled or donated to charity.
- Customers who purchase their Casper mattress from Amazon.com will also be eligible for the 100-night trial.
Casper offers a 10-year non-prorated warranty:
- Warranty coverage kicks in on the original mattress purchase date.
- During the warranty coverage period, Casper will replace or repair a defective mattress. Casper will cover fees for returning a defective mattress to the company, but the owner will be required to pay fees for having a replaced or repaired mattress shipped back to them.
- Mattress owners must pay the difference if their defective mattress is replaced with an upgrade model.
- In the event that a defective mattress is repaired or replaced with the same mattress model, the original warranty coverage will continue. If the mattress is replaced with an upgrade, then a new warranty will be issued beginning on the date that the upgrade is purchased.
- The warranty will be voided if the owner does not provide a proper foundation to support the mattress. According to Casper, proper foundation options include the following: a foundation and modern box spring with wooden slats that are no more than 4 inches apart; a flat platform bed; or a slatted base made of wood with slats that are no more than 4 inches apart.
- The warranty will cover body impressions in the sleep surface measuring 1 inch or deeper despite proper use and handling. The warranty also covers physical flaws that cause mattress materials to split or crack, and manufacturing defects associated with the mattress cover.
- The warranty does not cover impressions measuring less than 1 inch deep. Additional defects not covered under warranty include physical damage such as burns and stains, and comfort issues that arise due to normal wear and tear or changes in the owner’s mattress preferences.
- The warranty is exclusively available to the original purchaser of the mattress. Anyone who purchases or acquires this mattress second-hand does so ‘as is’, and will not be eligible for warranty coverage.
Casper ships free to anywhere in the contiguous U.S. Charges apply to Hawaii, Alaska and parts of Canada. White Glove Delivery is available at an additional charge for the Casper, as well as the Casper Hybrid and Casper Essential. This service is free for Casper Wave and Casper Wave Hybrid orders.The delivery policy for Casper mattresses is as follows:
- UPS Ground is used for Casper deliveries. Most customers will receive their Casper mattress within two to five business days of the original purchase, depending on their location.
- Free standard shipping is offered to all customers in the contiguous U.S. and parts of Canada. Additional fees may apply for Hawaii and Alaska. For Canadian customers, additional fees may apply for Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut. Customers in New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are eligible for same-day courier deliveries.
- White Glove delivery is offered nationwide; previously, this service was only available in select U.S. cities. White Glove Delivery entails mattress setup and packaging removal, as well as old mattress removal upon request. White Glove delivery is available free-of-charge for The Wave and Wave Hybrid; the other three Casper mattresses will incur additional charges for White Glove services.