Meet Our Testing Team
Saatva vs. Amerisleep Mattress Overview
Saatva has been selling mattresses since 2011. The Saatva mattress is their flagship model. It’s an innerspring mattress with a foam-padded Euro-top cover, polyfoam and memory foam comfort layers, a transitional pocketed coil layer, and a Bonnell coil support core.
The mattress comes in three levels of firmness – a medium soft (4), medium firm (6), and firm (7). It’s also available in two levels of thickness – 11 ½ inches and 14 ½ inches depending on the sleeper’s height preference.
Amerisleep was founded in 2007. The brand currently offers five different mattress models. We’re focusing on the AS3 for this comparison. This is Amerisleep’s most versatile and best selling mattress. The bed is a medium level of firmness, a 5.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale.
This bed conforms to the sleeper’s body and provides spinal support. The AS3 is made with a memory foam comfort layer, a dual-layer polyfoam support core, and a cover made of polyester, Celliant fabric, and spandex.
Please Note: Saatva and Amerisleep also offer another mattresses in addition to the beds listed above.
- The Saatva HD: an innerspring mattress with a comfort system that includes zoned Talaylay latex, memory foam, and polyfoam layers, made specifically for those who weigh over 300 pounds.
- The Zenhaven: a flippable latex mattress with two different firmness levels.
- The Loom & Leaf: a luxury memory foam mattress with three options of firmness.
- The Solaire: an adjustable airbed with comfort layers of zoned Talaylay latex and gel-infused memory foam.
- Four other memory foam mattresses each with a different firmness: the AS1 (7.5), AS2 (6.5), AS4 (4.5), and AS5 (3.5).
This page compares the flagship Saatva mattress models to the Amerisleep AS3 mattress. Both the Saatva and the AS3 have received comparable owner ratings in categories like noise and motion isolation, but they also differ in several key aspects. This page looks at the unique pros and cons of each mattress, as well as the individual mattresses sleep trials, return policies, and warranty.
|FIRMNESS||4, 6, 7.5||5.5|
|SLEEP TRIAL||120 nights||100 nights|
|WARRANTY LENGTH||15 Year, Non-prorated||20 Year, Limited|
The Saatva Mattress is Good for...
- Sleepers who prefer thicker-than-average beds
- Sleepers of all weight categories and sleeping positions
- Those with aches and pains that can worsen while sleeping
The Amerisleep Mattress is Good for...
- Sleepers who tend to be hot on all-foam mattresses
- Sleepers who have frequent pain in their neck, lower back, and shoulders
- Sleepers who prefer a medium firmness bed that conforms to the body and provides sleeper support
- Those who like sleeping on high-profile beds
Sleep Position Ratings
Saatva Mattress Sleeper Ratings
The Saatva’s thickness and firmness options make the mattress suitable for most average and heavy weight sleepers, as well as most lightweight stomach and back sleepers. The medium soft version works better for lighter people, who often prefer softer surfaces because they can improve spinal alignment.
The medium firm and firm versions may be the most comfortable option for average weight and heavier people, as well as back and stomach sleepers.
The Saatva flagship mattress has strong air circulation through the coil layers which keeps the bed at a comfortable temperature for most. This makes it a good pick for those who tend to sleep hot, especially on foam mattresses.
Amerisleep Mattress Sleeper Ratings
The AS3 is a medium (5.5) bed in terms of firmness. It provides a balance of closely conforming to the sleeper’s body while providing a well-reinforced support layer. This makes the mattress ideal for sleepers weighing between 130 and 230 pounds, as well as lighter or heavier individuals who like the feel of a medium firmness bed. Back sleepers of all weights gave the bed very good ratings.
Side sleepers in the average weight group also enjoy the AS3, because it conforms closely to the body, helping alleviate pressure points that often result from sleeping on your side. The AS3 provides very good motion isolation and does not make any noise when bearing weight. It also sleeps much cooler than the average all-foam mattress due to the Celliant fabric in its cover.
- Saatva Mattress
- Amerisleep AS3
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
|Sleep Position||Less than 130 LBS||130 LBS - 230 LBS||Greater than 230 LBS|
Choose the Saatva if...
- You are looking for a higher than average profile mattress.
- You sleep hot.
- You and your partner are looking for a responsive mattress.
- You frequently have aches and pains.
Choose the Amerisleep Mattress if...
- You or your partner wakes easily from the other one moving.
- You normally sleep hot on memory foam mattresses.
- You experience neck, shoulder, and/or lower back pain.
- You prefer a higher-profile bed.
Technical Details Comparison
Sizing and Pricing
- Twin $599 Saatva $899 Amerisleep AS3
- Twin XL $749 Saatva $949 Amerisleep AS3
- Full $999 Saatva $1,049 Amerisleep AS3
- Queen $1,099 Saatva $1,199 Amerisleep AS3
- King $1,499 Saatva $1,499 Amerisleep AS3
- Cal King $1,499 Saatva $1,499 Amerisleep AS3
- Split King N/A Saatva $1,898 Amerisleep AS3
Next let’s look at how the Saatva and Amerisleep Mattress models are made. The table below lists firmness, thickness, weight, and composition specs for both beds.
|Specification||Saatva||Amerisleep AS3 Mattress|
|Firmness||4 (Medium Soft)
6 (Medium Firm)
|Thickness||11.5″ or 14.5″||12″|
|Weight (Queen)||110 to 120 lbs.||88 lbs.|
|Support Core Components||4″ Recycled 13-Gauge Bonnell Coils (11 1/2″ Model)
7″ Recycled 13-Gauge Bonnell Coils (14 1/2″ Model)
|2″ 1.65 PCF Polyfoam
7″ 1.8 PCF HD Polyfoam
|Comfort Layer Components||5/8″ Polyfoam
3/8″ Memory Foam
2 1/2″ Polyfoam
4″ Recycled 14.5-Gauge Pocketed Coils
|3″ 4 PCF Memory Foam|
|Cover Composition||Organic Cotton Euro-Top with:
1 1/4″ Polyfoam
3/4″ Dacron Fibers
|77% Polyester, 21% Celliant Fabric, and 2% Spandex|
How Is the Saatva Built?
The Saatva mattress is considered a coil-on-coil innerspring bed. It features polyfoam and memory foam layers, as well as a foam-padded Euro-top cover made of organic cotton that provides extra padding.
The Saatva also has two coil layers: a transitional layer of pocketed coils and a support core with Bonnell coils. These layers promote airflow, allowing the bed to sleep fairly cool. The layers of thick foam mean this mattress isolates motion better and is quieter than most other innerspring mattresses.
The Saatva mattress is available in three versions of firmness – plush soft (4), luxury firm (6), and firm (7.5). These options make the mattress comfortable for most weight ranges and sleeping positions.
The mattress is available in two profiles – 11.5 inches and 14.5 inches. The feel of the mattress will not be impacted by the profile, but is available for the customer’s preference. The queen size weighs between 110 and 120 pounds.
How Is the Amerisleep Mattress Built?
The Amerisleep AS3 is made with a high density 3-inch memory foam comfort layer. This gives the bed a medium level of firmness that conforms to the body. This can improve spinal alignment for sleepers and alleviate pressure points throughout the body.
The support core is nine inches thick. This includes two inches of transitional polyfoam and seven inches of high-density polyfoam as the base layer. This relatively thick core reinforces the bed and gives this mattress a higher level of edge support than many all-foam beds.
The mattress features a cover made from a blend of polyester, Celliant fabric, and spandex, which provides good temperature neutrality by absorbing less body heat and maintaining a cool surface. The AS3 is heavier than average, with the queen size weighing 88 pounds.
Saatva Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 120 nights
Shipping Anywhere in the contiguous U.S. and Canada.
Warranty 15 years
Made In USA
Trial Period Details
Saatva offers a 120-night sleep trial for the Saatva mattress.
Saatva mattresses do not require a break-in period, so customers are welcome to return their mattress anytime within the sleep-trial window. The trial begins on the day the mattress is delivered. If returned, Saatva will refund the cost of the mattress minus $99 to cover transportation costs.
Mattress exchanges are also possible within the 120-night trial window for a $99 transportation fee.
Saatva offers a 15-year warranty.
Saatva’s warranty covers 15 years of ownership. For the first two years, Saatva mattresses are fully covered under the warranty and eligible for replacement with a new mattress at no cost to the owner. After two years, Saatva will repair and recover a defective mattress at the cost of $99 shipping per way, a total of $198 to the owner.
The mattress must have been used for the intended purposes and on a structural support. Saatva deems a mattress defective with body indentations ¾ inch or deeper.
In addition to the warranty, Saatva offers a Fairness Replacement Option. At any point during the 15-year warranty, a Saatva mattress owner may choose this option. Under this plan, instead of sending the mattress away for repairs, the owner keeps it and Saatva will deliver and install a new mattress at a certain price.
- Between years 3-5: Saatva will ship a new mattress to the owner for 30 percent of the original purchase price.
- Between years 6 -10: 50 percent of the original purchase price.
- Between years 11 – 15: 75 percent of the original purchase price.
This option incurs no shipping fees and includes white-glove delivery service.
The delivery policy for Saatva mattresses is as follows:
- The mattress typically arrives 7-15 days after ordering. Once the mattress is ready for shipping, Saatva will contact the customer to arrange a convenient shipping date. On the agreed upon date, customers will be given a four-hour delivery window.
- Saatva does not ship to Alaska, Hawaii or U.S. territories.
- White glove delivery is included with the purchase of a mattress.
How Is the Mattress Shipped? Saatva mattresses are not compressed for shipping.
Where Do They Ship? Anywhere in the contiguous U.S. and Canada.
Delivery Fee: Shipping is free for all orders which includes white-glove service.
Old Mattress Removal: If selected at check-out, Saatva will remove the old mattress and foundation at no additional cost.
Saatva Coupons and Discounts
Amerisleep Sleep Trial, Warranty, and Delivery
Sleep Trial 100 nights
Shipping All 50 states, Canada, & Mexico
Warranty 20 years, partially prorated
Made In USA
Amerisleep offers a 100-night sleep trial for the Amerisleep AS3 mattress.
Amerisleep lets customers sleep on their new mattress for 100 nights beginning on the day the mattress arrives. There’s a 30-day break in period required. After that customers may return the mattress for a full refund before the end of the sleep trial period. Amerisleep will arrange for the mattress to be picked up and taken to a local charity or recycled. The customer incurs no shipping or transportation fees with a return. Amerisleep will refund the mattress amount in full.
Amerisleep offers a 20-year warranty.
During the first 10 years of ownership, Amerisleep will replace or repair a defective mattress at no cost to the owner. Amerisleep will cover any shipping or transportation fees. During years 11-20, a defective mattress will be repaired or replaced at a prorated rate of 50 percent of the original mattress price. The owner will also be responsible for all shipping and transportation fees.
To be valid under warranty, the mattress must be used on a foundation Amerisleep approves of. This includes:
- A solid wood, non-spring, completely flat foundation or bed platform.
- A box spring with at least a three-quarter inch sheet of moisture-resistant plywood placed over the entire box spring.
- A slatted base with the slats must be no greater than three inches apart
- A solid floor
If the mattress is placed on any surface besides those listed, the warranty is void. Amerisleep may ask for proof of a defective mattress before replacing or repairing. The warranty covers any cell structure deterioration that causes the mattress to visibly indent greater than three-quarters of an inch.
The delivery policy for Amerisleep Mattresses is as follows:
- After ordering, Amerisleeps takes three to five days to process the order and ship the mattress. After that, customers can expect their mattress to be delivered in one to five business days. All orders are shipped via FedEx.
- White glove delivery is not available.
How Is the Mattress Shipped?: Compressed and shipped in a box.
Where Do They Ship?: All 50 states in the US as well as Canada and Mexico.
Delivery Fee: Amerisleep ships mattresses to the contiguous US for free. Shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, or Mexico will incur a fee. Contact Amerisleep for current shipping rates to those locations.
Old Mattress Removal: Amerisleep does not offer mattress removal.