Of the many tasks we undertake in life, there are those special few we can all agree are not for the faint of heart. Folding bed sheets is among them.
Many of us can figure out how to fold our pillowcases and flat sheets decent enough, but the dreaded fitted sheet is where our efforts are hopelessly stymied. The best we can hope for is a mangled clump of wrinkles.
It doesn’t have to be this way. Folding your fitted sheets is doable, with the right process. You just need to know a few tricks.
If you feel up to the task, read on.
How to fold a fitted sheet
Follow these step-by-step instructions to successfully fold a fitted sheet, and give yourself a well-earned pat on the back.
- Lay the sheet down so you can identify the shorter edges from the longer edges.
- Stand up and hold the sheet by two of the adjacent corners on one of the shorter edges.
- Position the sheet so the side facing out is inside out. Place each of your hands in one of the corners on the side facing you (which is the right side out).
- Bring your right hand over to your left hand. Fold the corner in your right hand onto the corner in your left hand, effectively flipping the right-hand corner onto the left-hand corner so it’s right side out.
- Keep your left hand tucked in that corner. With your right hand that is now free, grab the new fold that has been recreated in place of the right-hand corner. Stretch it out a bit and shake the column of sheet that is hanging to straighten things out.
- Reach down and pick up the corner that is hanging down. Bring it up and fold it over the two corners you’re currently holding in your left hand. The corner that is facing out should be inside out.
- You now have one last corner. Bring it up and fold it over the others like you did with the previous two so you have all corners in your left hand.
- Now lay the sheet in its current folded state on a flat surface. Flatten it out so the side facing up has the elastic.
- Fold the sheet over itself in thirds so that the elastic is hidden and you have a rectangular shape.
- Keep folding until the sheet is the size you want.
How to fold a flat sheet and pillow cases
Now that you’ve folded your fitted sheet, the rest is easy. Follow these steps to fold the rest of your bedding.
To fold your flat sheet:
- Lie the sheet down on a flat surface.
- Fold the sheet three or four times lengthwise, depending on the size of your sheet.
- Start folding inward, and keep folding until the sheet is the size you want and matches your fitted sheet.
To fold your pillow case:
- Lie the pillowcase down on a flat surface.
- Fold the pillow case once lengthwise and once crosswise, so you end up with a square.
3 more pro tips
Want to be a sheet-folding pro? Follow these tips for wrinkle-free, beautifully folded sheets.
- Make sure you have enough room to fold. You want a place with a flat surface where you can lie the sheet out as flat as possible. We recommend the bed – it has the perfect amount of room.
- To prevent wrinkles, fold your sheets promptly after cleaning them. If they’re still warm from the dryer, you’re good to go.
- Avoid confusion in your linen closet. Keep your folded sheets together by leaving one pillowcase unfolded, and slipping the folded fitted sheet, flat sheet, and remaining pillowcase inside.