Buying Guide – How to Shop for a Camping Cot
Like sleeping mats and air beds, camping cots are a popular choice for providing an outdoor sleeping surface. They range in size and features, and there are certain benefits to choosing a cot over other sleep options. In this buying guide, we’ll discuss common considerations such as durability, portability, and average cost.
Pros and Cons of Camping Cots
Using a camping cot has both its perks and its drawbacks. In this section, we’ll consider both the pros and cons of buying and sleeping on a camping cot.
Some positives of using a camping cot include:
- Very durable: Camping cots are for outdoor use and are often designed to stand up very well to rugged conditions. They’re very sturdy and often water-resistant, so they’re great to sleep on in rainy or wet conditions.
- Easy to get into and out of: Some outdoor bedding can take a while to snuggle into and then struggle out, but with cots, you can usually get on and off it very quickly.
- Avoid dirt and insects: You’re less likely to worry about bugs crawling over you when trying to sleep at night thanks to camping cots being raised off the ground.
- Allows cool air to circulate: Because camping cots are up off the ground, the air can circulate under the cot, creating a cooling effect that can be crucial on hot nights.
As for the cons of camping cot usage:
- Usually only accommodates one person: The average camping cot is designed to hold one sleeper. Even if it’s sturdy enough to hold the weight of two people, its height and width make it impractical for a pair of people to share.
- Can be uncomfortable for side sleepers: If you prefer to sleep on your side, you might experience some discomfort as cots tend to get taut once weight is applied, causing some pressure on the shoulder pressing into the material.
- Not a lot of space to move around freely: For sleepers with a tendency to roll around while unconscious, you might find yourself rolling right off your cot and onto the hard ground.
As you can see, buying and owning a camping cot has its advantages and disadvantages. You should keep this information in mind while planning your purchase.
Camping Cots vs. Sleeping Mats vs. Air Mattresses
There are different sleeping options for campers, and camping cots are one choice. In the chart below, we’ll compare the most common outdoor sleep surface options in terms of comfort, durability, portability and cost.